DivethePen (Palos Verdes Peninsula) "Old Divers Category" March 17, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
It's become clear that here on Scubaboard there are some divers over 40 yrs of age that question a distance dive, or if they're able to finish such a dive. Good news! DivethePen has included categories "veterans" "seniors." With alternative routes that make it similar to hanging around the anchor line!! Your participation is greatly welcomed and encouraged as to be in support of California Ships to Reefs, Inc. - Home future plans to reef Santa Monica Bay!! Go to Dive The Coast open contacts and find Los Angeles County Organizer info. Or Go to Facebook Page HardCoreDiveTeam you'll find the event and updated list of divers! Thanks

Thanks, it wasn't intended to be offensive at all. I appologize if you have taken it that way. But from interaction with one reply it was clear that some adjustments could be made to include any "divers" who felt they were old. Their exact words were, if you've followed the original event, was "I think the "fit" requirement probably eliminated alot of older folks." This was including any that felt that way. It's about diving is all. If that's a dumb idea or offensive to you, sorry.

Would it have been more appropriate to invite "Grumpy Old Divers?" There is an active thread here on SB named that. I don't think they'd be offended in any way. I'm included in the Old Divers Category!

Last edited:
What a dumb idea and offensive post.
Not a very constructive comment :shakehead: How would you rate/rank the sites?

I think it's a great idea to rate the sites by difficulty & skill level, as well as by site access & physical effort required. While I resemble those categories, age isn't the only criteria to consider. Level of personal fitness, training & experience levels, and recommended gear (tech dive, scooter, etc.) should also be considered when rating sites. Not just by age, as some younger teen divers might be just as challenged as more Senior divers might be with exertion level, both pre, during, and post dive.

I know when I used to teach in SoCal, I was exploring sites that were not only appropriate for the various levels of students & courses (from OW to DM), but also for my own physical exertion.
Example, Shaw's Cove is a great easy dive OW students on most days but the 64 steps to access the shore w/ gear was a level of effort I would take into account with each individual student in mind. I knew I didn't want divers to start a dive already tired the hike geared up.

Might I suggest a differently worded rating system?
How about a spin off the movie ratings: G, PG, R, X
Or Easy, moderate, difficult for both the access, alternate accesses, and for the actual dive.

I look forward to seeing how you rate some of the sites I used to dive.

Yea!! Thanks for the response Elena!! And your exactly right!! The original post of DivethePen had a summary of site difficulty and physical recommendations, being fit and experienced in both shore and rock entry dives, kelp, surge etc. It's what gave way to this DivethePen Old Divers post. And including any of the older divers to be present with alternative dive plans!! These 2 post' both refere to a Facebook event Updating page. Advanced in the way of Certification would be a good start, having active shore diving experience is more preferred, but not required.

There are 2 options of entry at Malaga Cove, RAT Beach (sand) or at the bottom of the very short but steep paved path, (Rocky, and not the size you can hang onto. The size that are to trip over.)

There's the option of walking farther to the sand, and getting through incoming swells directed head on. Swimming farther to get to where the good diving starts.
Or at the bottom of the path walk out over the rocks, if you fall, it's not a far fall. Steady, and balanced footing is preferred. Low Tides will make the choice to the sand beach.

The northwest shoreline from Malaga to the Dominator Wreck area (about 3 miles) is very consistent, kelp starts at about 10 and 15 ft deep. Thick kelp and canopies are found 20,40,50 ft.

When the area is good, it's great, being in most rocky bottom vis is good, When it's not the best it can resemble chocolate milk. High surf, wind, and low vis will going to generate a postponing to the following weeks.

These ratings are going to be flexible, coupled with weather and conditions. I've been diving Palos Verdes (all the sites) from shore regularly, I'm 52. At first they were difficult, seemed to be far, for example Old Marineland Long Point, going to the Point is about a 1700ft walk on a finely graded path, throughout the entire year only when it's very sunny and warm does it help to keep your wet suit down to your waist on the trip, we do 3 tanks or dives when we're there. That's 1700 x 6, at first 1 trip seemed far. As perception opened up it's not any different than hauling gear from a boat to the car. Or the short step hike to Shaws. The reason I'm including the Old Marineland stats are it's included at the end of Leg 2 DivethePen.

To date the most rigorous and interesting dive "hikes" were at 1000 steps S Laguna Beach. We hike long rugged rocky goat trails, and 1000 steps has beat everything so far. We made the trip 3 times, once carrying gear. After diving, walking back up mid way, I've never felt my heart rate so high, and I was still! That site is Advanced in health recommended!!

Thank you Elena, the ratings, and what to expect were coming on the evolving facebook page DivetheCoast Event Scroll down you'll see it DivethePen. But because of your reply it's going to be looked at in a whole different way. Gretchen Ashton of http://scubafit.com is on Board with DivetheCoast as Statewide Spokesperson, She's developing work outs specificly related to these DivetheCoast events!! Coming soon! I'll stay very closely to suggestions she may have regarding physical demands, output etc!

Not a very constructive comment :shakehead: How would you rate/rank the sites?

Irrespective of what category you choose to enter, its an event which will turn a scuba dive into an underwater cardio workout. Underwater/offshore cardiac events are likely fatal. Conditions change so quickly, test dives and "practice" events are irrelevant. As for H2OCean walking up and down PV trails to and from the beach, he has done a great job conditioning/exercising, but likely not so for other participants. If it was a scooter event, it would make great sense.

1.3!! Nice of you to give your opinions, they will be considered! DivethePen in no way has been labeled a contest, nor a timed event. And quite the contrary every diver controls his own amount of exertion-remember the OW training manual? Malaga Cove has a paved path that is downhill, Dive Vets hold easter egg hunts there, if you need help carrying your gear down the hill, that will be provided, nobody said this is an endurance test. We'll help you. You may not have reviewed the event description carefully, that's ok, I'll explain if you need more time with it. Let's use you as an example, you prefer a scooter to do a dive, bring it. If you are at all familiar with the area, would you do a dive with the scooter there? If so, do it. Return to the entry/exit spot. Do not over exert yourself. If you'd like to dive with fins, and dive 1 tank, do a normal dive. If you'd like to do a "2" tank dive, (do not over exert yourself, stay within your own limitations at all times) and you have the option to go 1 complete tank approximately to Flatrock swap a tank and continue back to Malaga at a shallower level! "OR" go 2 tanks heading towards Rocky Point, and you should end up around or in line with the Avalon Wreck area, your kayak support will be right on top of you regardless of how far you go at all. A boat will pick you up, I'm sorry but not at Malaga Cove. 1.3 Relax, It's a peaceful dive. It would probably be best if you didn't dive it! For anyone to regard a dive (whether it's a deep dive or drift dive, or dive the pen dive) as FATAL ? Shouldn't be in the activity of diving anyway. Accidents can happen, if you've paid attention to training, and applied it, it reduces to a great degree your chances of being injured. And although you may or may not have understood that whole training part, others do. It'd be like me saying your going to have an accident someday diving because you're unsafe. Anyone can say that. Diving is not a guaranteed activity. It would be a real unfortunate event if someone did. That's why we maintain and stress Training no matter what agency you're trained by. Follow that training! Do not exceed your self limitations or training. And be in good heath!!! Both physically AND mentally. Now 1.3 I hope you have a better understanding of what DivetheCoast is about. If you'd like you can be a part of managing check off's in the parking lot at Malaga (Elementary School) Parking lot! Give you a clip board to hand out wrist bands or tickets, you'd never have to descend the walk to the shore, and still be a part of it...Remember it's about diving and the community of diving.

Hi 1.3, I was only mentioning the "hikes" for some that are conditioned for no, or not much, physical activity. Consistantly good nutrition and a jog around a block, a bicycle ride around a 2 or 3 hour period resembles the effort to hike in and out tanks, minus the dives, and goes a long way to increase the payoffs of diving and safety! For anyone that has trouble walking around the block should get a Drs. oppinion about a work routine. Work up to it. Don't have to do heavy lifting, working the body for 45 mins is a good point to reach, then add after resting (mimicking the dive) a ride for another 45 min (recreating the hike out), again not strenuous workouts. You noticed the "rests" I releate to the dives. A bicycle on flat ground, no wind, ride 45 mins one direction, using lower gears until you find the respiration rate that's comfortable to maintain. It's interesting, that (and I'm not saying this disrespectful) if a person has to park at 1000 feet away from the front doors of Dominos to get a extra large pepperoni pizza with "double cheese" and a big gulp, that trip would be like nothing! That's perspective, the goal has been conditioned with satisfying unhealthy rewards. So "make" or swap the pizza for the dive. Or make believe the rides on the bicycle are the hikes to the dive site. Nobody has to be the fittest of the fittest, but breaking a routine to the big gulp machines, & pizza after "a" dive, and recondition perspectives, will benefit diving ability, and hikes in and out of PV will be realized as a rewarding reality. All by regular applied activity, and a reshaping of perspectives. Get a Drs. advice.

Also when it comes to diving safety, deep dives, or any new level of "training" comes with exercising that. And speaking cardios underwater, you have been on lobster dives opening night, haven't you? It seems quite normal to observe the divers sprinting in all directions, solo, when there's a chance a scoring a cholesterol loaded tail, and a chance to win the Jackpot and pay for the boat. I don't hear of scuba diver fatalities related to that, but I do see the same adrenaline fueled cardio dives every year!!

Last edited:
And speaking cardios underwater, you have been on lobster dives opening night, haven't you? It seems quite normal to observe the divers sprinting in all directions, solo, when there's a chance a scoring a cholesterol loaded tail, and a chance to win the Jackpot and pay for the boat. I don't hear of scuba diver fatalities related to that, but I do see the same adrenaline fueled cardio dives every year!!

Extremely well documented lobster opening night and lobster mini seasons have a number of diver fatalities.

Now 1.3 I hope you have a better understanding of what DivetheCoast is about. If you'd like you can be a part of managing check off's in the parking lot at Malaga (Elementary School) Parking lot! Give you a clip board to hand out wrist bands or tickets, you'd never have to descend the walk to the shore, and still be a part of it...Remember it's about diving and the community of diving.

I'll pass. I don't shore dive.

Back
Top Bottom