Celebrating 50 years on SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Realized that the winter of 2011-12 represents the 50th anniversary of the first time I used SCUBA gear. And the amazing thing is, I'm still alive! The first time we had just one set of gear between us so our "dives" were very short and shallow... not easy to refill the tanks then. Not sure of the actual date (heck, at my age I can't even remember how old I am or where I put my glasses).

Can't say I've dived every year since. As a student working my way through college, there wasn't time due to studies, my jobs and... ah, er... extracurricular activities. After graduation I did get a job teaching marine biology on SCUBA here on Catalina. Later jobs didn't afford me the time to indulge as frequently however. Yes, even Dr. Bill had to hold real jobs at times to pay the rent. When I lost my last real job 12 years ago, I was able to ramp up my diving (until the money started disappearing). Still it has been a wonderful 50 years of focus on marine biology and SCUBA. I'm hoping for another 20-25.

Well, now that the young ladies (you know, the forty-somethings) know I'm quite the geezer, I guess my chances have dimmed for finding that ultimate dive buddy!

Yeah!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! I just had my anniversary of getting certified and realized I've been diving for half of my life! Crazy.

I hope to still be kicking in order to make the same claim. Congrats! What an amazing milestone.

Congrats! I hope to catch you some day. Kinda wish I hadn't waited until I was thirty to get certified. Makes waiting for the Big 5-0 a little harder.

Wow! Grtz hopefully another 25 will follow.

Hopefully I will get a chance one of the times I'm in Catalina to shake your hand. Maybe even dive with you. It would be quite the honour...

DRRRR BILLLLY I thought you had a new dive gal buddy here a bit ago. Also shame on you for having me count my years, although 50 is awesome, Hint do not talk about diving on next date and let me know how that works always wanted to try that.

Congrats on 50 and lets be honest has it changed down under as much as above, and yes I can tell the republic fish from the democrat fish and the votes are down from 50 years ago.

The sad thing is that after that long I still haven't perfected diving... but I keep on trying!

As for Republican or Democratic fish, most of them are Libertarian focusing not on politics but on Munching & Mating! Of course they do support marine reserves (which both parties have at times).

The sad thing is that after that long I still haven't perfected diving... but I keep on trying!

As for Republican or Democratic fish, most of them are Libertarian focusing not on politics but on Munching & Mating! Of course they do support marine reserves (which both parties have at times).

Congrats Dr.Bill and many more years to come down under. I am a reborn diver once certified nasds in 1973 and re certified padi 2009 and now have 48 dives under my fins. I dive the park quite often i hope to say hello someday , dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom