• Regulator

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • HP splitter

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Camera

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would vote camera (and did). For me, the "product" in terms of photos or video is what keep me excited about getting back in the water. If you are travel diving you are probably renting gear anyway. I get the added security of having one's own regs, but from an actual performance standpoint I can't tell any difference between them.

Another thing to consider for a next purchase would be a pony and single reg. A small pony will fit in your luggage and extra air makes almost any emergency easier to manage.

Here is the controversial advice... I would have sold/returned the Mk2, used the old suunto, and got regs/BPW/camera depending on how far you get budgetwize, and "wants wize", and then I would swap diveshop as the one you were at clearly only thinks about its own profits and not the divers/customers real needs.

I really don’f advise new divers to carry a camera. The trick to getting great underwater pics/video is being a great diver first - get in your first hundred dives or so, before you worry about bringing a camera along with you. You’ll take better pictures when you do, and become a much better diver in the meantime if you’re not distracted by camera settings.

So - go buy your own regs/BC etc!

(Plus - there’s research showing that taking pictures tends to detract from our enjoyment of the moment! Focus on enjoying those first hundred dives and all the cool stuff you get to see and do…the camera will still be there later)
This is great advice. Dive first, use the camera God gave us(eyes & brain).

Here is the controversial advice... I would have sold/returned the Mk2, used the old suunto, and got regs/BPW/camera depending on how far you get budgetwize, and "wants wize", and then I would swap diveshop as the one you were at clearly only thinks about its own profits and not the divers/customers real needs.
Yes and no.

In my experience, having your own computer is important and GF needed her own. Only way that was happening is if I got it for her (with a hand me down). Plus on my end, it was time to buy something with AI and they gave me a solid deal on the Mk2i on closeout.

Gear was on the timeline for this summer but now that I have AI, it's stupid to leave the capability behind if possible.

The shop will put AI on their rentals for me and that's what I was planning on doing locally. Didn't realize that it's uncommon for shops to have a second HP port on rental gear.

1. I use AI. I like AI. But having to use an SPG is not a big negative. I would not expect an operator to allow modifications of his rental equipment for both liability and possible damage.
2. I used to use a camera. But, honestly, I found it too distracting and found myself more involved in taking pictures than enjoying the underwater experience.
3. Get a regulator.

That shop saw you coming. They knew you were getting back into diving and talked you into a very expensive computer when your Suunto would have been just fine for the dives you are going to be doing.
Shame on them. A regulator would have been a smarter buy. Nothing fancy, just a sealed diaphragm reg with an SPG that would have given you the peace of mind of knowing it was yours, and it worked.
Instead, they talked you into buying something that came with a $400 piece that you may not even be able to use.
That's just sickening, and why segments of the industry are seemingly doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot.

The Garmin Mk2 is not a bad computer. Reliable and Buhlmann equipped. I have a Mk1 I've used as backup for about 5 years. I'm not fond of the proprietary transmitter, but that's just me. The Garmin is a lot better than an old Suunto.
If you are a recreational diver and want a full set of equipment, the DGX package looks like a really good deal to me: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing + DGX Gears D6 Reg Package

That shop saw you coming. They knew you were getting back into diving and talked you into a very expensive computer when your Suunto would have been just fine for the dives you are going to be doing.
Shame on them. A regulator would have been a smarter buy. Nothing fancy, just a sealed diaphragm reg with an SPG that would have given you the peace of mind of knowing it was yours, and it worked.
Instead, they talked you into buying something that came with a $400 piece that you may not even be able to use.
That's just sickening, and why segments of the industry are seemingly doing everything they can to shoot themselves in the foot.

The transmitter was a mistake, got too far ahead of myself. Should have only gone with the computer but why buy an AI computer without the transmitter?

The Garmin Mk2 is not a bad computer. Reliable and Buhlmann equipped. I have a Mk1 I've used as backup for about 5 years. I'm not fond of the proprietary transmitter, but that's just me. The Garmin is a lot better than an old Suunto.
If you are a recreational diver and want a full set of equipment, the DGX package looks like a really good deal to me: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing + DGX Gears D6 Reg Package
That's the next purchase (minus the reg). Planning on a Scubapro MK25 +G260 or S620 Ti and a DGX BP/W.

The transmitter was a mistake, got too far ahead of myself. Should have only gone with the computer but why buy an AI computer without the transmitter?

I don't see anything wrong with the choice of the computer at all. It appears to be a good complete package that has everything you will need for many years to come. Don't let others rain on your parade.

Planning on a Scubapro MK25 +G260 or S620 Ti
Excellent choice.

Is Air Integration really nice for a vacation diver or is it overkill vs watching the SPG?
Go with the SPG. AI / transmitters can come later if ever.

I have been diving for decades and have only recently adopted some transmitter use (as sort of an experiment), after years of seeing them crap out on boats -- either fail altogether or even get interrupted by fellow AI divers, which was rampant when they were first developed.

Regardless, I still carry an SPG, which has yet for fail (while my transmitter may occasionally drop display pressure for ten or more seconds, for no reason that I can determine), since I have always distrusted that questionable combination of electronics, combined with sand, salt water, increasing pressures, and held together by fancy rubber bands . . .

Back
Top Bottom