Dacor Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRadke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just obtained a Dacor speargun and would like to find out a little more about it. The box states the model as CGL. The gun is aluminum, 39" long from the butt of the handle to the tip of the spear, has one band, but looks like it may be made for two and has a black plastic handle that says DACOR on each side. On the left side of the grip, between the 2 bolts that hold the aluminum tube in place, it says made in France.

Is this a decent gun? What is it best suited for?

Several equipment manufacturers used to re-sell(rebrand) equipment in their product line that they didn't actually make themselves. I thought Dacor worked with Nemrod along time ago, but not sure. Post up a picture of your gun for a better response or over on spearboard.com with many spearo's.

As with any used gun, even newer ones, critical parts like the trigger sear release mechanism should be disassembled and inspected for wear or rounding off. This could cause a spear to fire without warning. The rubber bands should be easy to replace as well as the spear shaft if it is bent(roll on a table top).

Take a look at this picture site and see if your gun looks similar to what you have and post up a picture of your gun for more help.

Skin Diving History

Pictures as requested.

An imported second line gun of the 1970s

Identified as "Fast Action Spearguns"
Two models;
GCS-24 inches $17.00
GCL 39 inches $1850 (Yours)

Junk!

Hang on the wall-- not worth investing $ or time

Old enough to be worn and dangerous..

sorry ole chap!

sdm

Thankyou, I'd rather have it straight than have you dance around the truth. It was probably going to wind up on wall anyway.

Pictures as requested.

Almost positive that's a Nemrod rebranded as Dacor. If I had to guess that gun is probably 40-45 years old and definitely a collector's item depending on it's condition and workability. Even those bands with the tie covers are rare to be seen today. Just my opinion but that gun is worth more as a collectable on Ebay than lose it's value by reworking it.

If you chose to rework it, Nemrod trigger sear parts are next to impossible to find anymore. Nemrod was sold to Metzler who then closed down the speargun parts. Dacor made scuba products also until bought out in the early 90's by Mares Scuba who basically killed the brand. If your trigger sear is in perfect condition, you can get new rubber bands at almost any dive shop or on line like Florida Freedivers'

If you are planning on shooting fish in Wisconsin, like Lake Geneva with limited viz, that size of gun is pretty good. Several new metal guns like JBL have similar sizes, but the materials and accuracy are light years from your Dacor with it's suspended shaft.

For more independent opinions on your Dacor, you can always sign up over on FreeDiving, Scuba Diving & Spearfishing | DeeperBlue.com and post up gun questions since alot of the guys over there are very rich in history and willing to help. You'll need to register 1st. Also many people have 'saved searches' on Ebay for antique spearguns. Try to word your listing carefully to get the most attention. I wouldn't venture a possible price since I don't know how many of those guns are still around.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us and good luck on your adventure !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom