Sumba, Rota, South Flores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
Anybody dived North Sumba, Rota (Near Kupang)?

Thinking about booking a last minute live aboard that leaves L Bajo & travels to Kupang.8 days in Komodo then 5 days Sumba,South Flores , Rota?

I have been to Komodo a couple of times so know what to expect. Looking for any feedback for the other areas.
The boat looks great but it is the same price as an 11 night trip to Raja Ampat.

Hello Kevster, I asked a similar question a few years back and got crickets. Diving looks like it could be great on Sumba. However, Rota appears to be a big surf destination. I saw many more surfers than divers on my flight through Kupang enroute to Alor. Not sure if the 2 are always mutually exclusive, but I know that the good dive sights in Kavieng PNG are on the opposite side of the Island's good surf areas. There is an expensive ecoresort on Sumba's south coast. Somebody there might know about diving on the north coast. That boat is probably stopping at Savu, midway btw Sumba and Kupang, which seems like it might be a highlight-volcanic islands surrounded by very deep water...

IIRC, Thomas from Alor Divers, brought his boat from it's builders in Labuan Bajo around the South coast of Flores to Alor and I think he said it was pretty Rocky and had poor coral formation. But, I also heard from an Indo friend who claimed there was excellent diving around an island off the South coast of Eastern Flores, complete with some hammers and other big fish. Don't remember the name, check a map... -Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom