Never forget first freebie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

currier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just want to take a minute to applaud the actions of a local instructor. He is currently performing DM training for my regular buddy, and I was asked to join them along with another diver for some dives today.

My buddy paired with her instructor to practice some skills. Myself and the remaining diver (also an instructor) buddied up, and were given the option of diving free air all day! The proposal: take a goodie bag and knife and clear the reef of fishing line and garbage that had accumulated over the winter months.

I was amazed at the mess we found down below. Nearby nets (illegal) had really done a number on one of our best Northern reefs! The line was wrapped all over the hard coral, and we even freed a few crab barely able to move due to their legs being bound up. Plastic bags were all over the place as well, not like shopping bags, but rather woven plastic rice sacks? The weave had all come undone, and the stringy crap was even more difficult to remove than fishing line.

While at the LDS I watched as this instructor prepaid the equivalent of 300USD in air fills which he said anyone can use so long as they take it upon themselves to get down and clean our site.

Hats off to his commitment! He insists I return and help again next weekend, and that I should bring friends along, too. His generosity will extend until this reef is returned to its previous state.

What a shining example of stewardship!

Back
Top Bottom