To Shelby McDaniel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know you read these threads on this forum frequently,and your desire is to get answers and resolution.
I am not attacking you,but I too want this situation to resolve itself. Two things have inflammed the
situation,a fatality at Vortex and a TV show airing on the disapperance. Cave divers by nature have been
taught to analyze accidents,equipment etc,and this will result in them dissecting these two things,which may
seem like an attack against your family/son,but truely it isn't. I know you want to use the reward money to
get answers,and that I can appreciate,but please make it known that the reward isn't/won't be offered for
recovery of remains in the cave. There may be some indication that this accident at Vortex may have
been facilitated by reward money,and we may never know the true motivations,but the thought of a cave
diving death over something as trivial as money is abhorrent. As long as you extend the carrot,the mule will bed driven
toward it. I am asking please remove the carrot,or define publically the terms of the reward,preferably
not for any searches in the cave. May you and your family find answers and able to put this behind you.

+1 Fully agree. We dont need another death there.

The only indication I remember is the dogs only found traces of ben going in the water. If in fact the cave divers that searched and have not found him, ben is still there and found a new avenue no one else has or hold your horses now this is just a situation awareness of disappearance theory a stray alligator came and ate Ben.

Now if in fact there is a reward and cave divers die, that is there choice not Shelby's. This is no different than a bounty hunter, there are risk to behold and that is life or death.

Now I have not ruled out been walking out in exposure suit and dogs could not trace this.

With ben being bankrupt or in major debt, whatever came out about him, he very well may have went in not to come out.

So what choice is there, Ben McDaniel is missing so go find him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the poster fully. To the parents I ask this, Do you really want another set of parents to go through the hell you have been through? Because for every "bounty hunter" diver that dies, there will be a set of parents that you have directly caused to experience what you have called as the absolute worst nightmare in existence. You know and accept that Ben isn't in there (you have admitted it), but yet you continue to offer the reward to divers to look in that cave for him. like kartsdvr, I ask you to withdraw your offer of a reward for divers.

The only indication I remember is the dogs only found traces of ben going in the water. If in fact the cave divers that searched and have not found him, ben is still there and found a new avenue no one else has or hold your horses now this is just a situation awareness of disappearance theory a stray alligator came and ate Ben.

Now if in fact there is a reward and cave divers die, that is there choice not Shelby's. This is no different than a bounty hunter, there are risk to behold and that is life or death.

Now I have not ruled out been walking out in exposure suit and dogs could not trace this.

With ben being bankrupt or in major debt, whatever came out about him, he very well may have went in not to come out.

So what choice is there, Ben McDaniel is missing so go find him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you just posting crap for the sake of posting? Thats about all that adds up too.
Most of the people qualified to go back there, have went. There are more but they know there is no other reason to go back there. The reward will only entice divers who are unqualified to do it. that fault will rest solely on the McDaniels. Without their enticing, they wouldnt have went back there in the first place.

Another profound post of cave diving insight from VooDooGasMan. Real Gems. Can someone make a sticky of all his posts?

Instead of making an attack on Shelby on a public forum, you could make a thread that cave divers should avoid the reward of going into a cave to find ben.

It isnt an attack, it was a simple and reasonable plea. Kelly, myslef and a bunch of others fully support the McDaniel family getting the closure they need and deserve. However we do not support reckless rewards that will only entice those without the proper knowledge to get killed. I believe its been posted to at least put stipulations on the reward. My opinion is if someone is going to go look, they should get approval from the recovery team that will have to go get them first.

Also this thread was started with an assumption it had to do with the reward. I am sure it has been joked as cavers go for a vortex dive that they will find him and get the reward. so with all the joking and BS that goes on. How can you actually show me this was the only intent of the cave diver to dive vortex when he died.

I feel this was used to have someone stop doing something cause you do not like it.

Show SB members Proof so every one can decide.

Kevin that seems perfectly reasonable, but if you try talking them out of it for you do not feel they are experienced enough, they will not notify you. I see what you mean to do and it is a hard thing to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom