Oceanic Geo (Original Model) Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfsalsero

Registered
Reaction score
Hello:

I own and love my Oceanic Geo dive computer. It has had about 250 dives logged on it and most recently has begun to act up. I have no interest in upgrading as I expect this computer should last at minimum to 1000 dives.

Anyhow, it seems like it can only be used in the Time mode as the "mode" button no longer wants to cycle through any of the alt time, alarm, and other settings. Also, by holding the "mode" dial down I can no longer go into any kind of dive modes to be able set my dive plan/nitrox mix, check history, etc... I've also changed batteries and this did not resolve the problem

It seems like it is now a glorified watch with date and time capabilities only. No error indicators are given and nor am I in any form of penalty mode as it's been a week or more since my last dive, which I experienced no issues/errors/oddities. Does anyone know why it no longer functions as a dive computer? Can I simply perform a hard reset somehow and make it magically come back to life? I'd hate to have to send it back to Oceanic and lose a few weeks of diving so I would appreciate it if someone or an Oceanic representative can assist in troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Sam

A while back I arrived at a very similar point when I decided to dump it. If you don't want to do that I guess your only chance is sending it to Oceanic and ask them to repair it. That doesn't come for free of course.

How did you come to the conclusion that this dive computer should last more than 1000 dives? Like any other electronic gadget or anything you buy out there, there is a warranty of maybe two years, and that's it. I'm in a non-diving related industry and you do extensive testing for your products to ensure they last maybe 10 years or longer. Like anything in live, there is a Gauss distribution for failures, though. Some of the parts will survive 30 years, most longer than 10, very few only 5, and in extremely rare cases only 1 year. Those you will fix, and if it's too many of these cases you'll file bancrupcy sooner than later...

A while back I arrived at a very similar point when I decided to dump it. If you don't want to do that I guess your only chance is sending it to Oceanic and ask them to repair it. That doesn't come for free of course.

How did you come to the conclusion that this dive computer should last more than 1000 dives? Like any other electronic gadget or anything you buy out there, there is a warranty of maybe two years, and that's it. I'm in a non-diving related industry and you do extensive testing for your products to ensure they last maybe 10 years or longer. Like anything in live, there is a Gauss distribution for failures, though. Some of the parts will survive 30 years, most longer than 10, very few only 5, and in extremely rare cases only 1 year. Those you will fix, and if it's too many of these cases you'll file bancrupcy sooner than later...

Helpful. Thanks! Sent in for repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom