Trip Report Bunaken and Lembeh Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to this forum, but have used it to get tips on where to go for diving and want to contribute my part. My wife and I spent 8 days/7 nights in Bunaken (5 nights) and Lembeh (2 nights). We've done 150 dives or so mostly in the Carribean and this was our first trip to Asia in general and Bunaken.

We took a flight from Seattle to Taipei then to Singapore on EVA air, compared to US airlines, this one was outstanding, good service, good food, actually nice flight attendants, lots of leg room in economy. If I could I would only fly them and never fly another US airline again. Stayed one day in Singapore out of necessity but also to look around, great city. Amazing food.

Then took Silk Air to Manado, make sure you have cash for the airport entrance visa. It's 25 bucks I think. Very smooth transfer to Siladen island, with no waiting for the van or transfer or other passengers. 25 minutes to the dock and 35 minutes to the island. Siladen resort is a small island east of Bunaken by about 10 minutes. I think it's the only resort on the island. The resort was awesome, dive staff great and friendly. Didn't have to touch our equipment, except to measure O2 concentration for nitrox. They washed, hung it to dry, had the right amount of weights, everything was done for you, it was awesome. Diving in Bunaken was great, it's mostly light to moderate current, wall diving with 80-100 ft visibility. Lots of small reef fishes, once basically there were thousands of triggerfishes surrounding us. Also macro although not as plentiful as Lembeh. Beautiful coral and wall diving. People make a big deal of the trash in prior forums I've read. There is trash and it is sad, but it's not like you can't see what you want to see because of trash, or you run into it because it's so much. Maybe I went at a time where there was less of it, but it wasn't that bad in my opinion, of course I wish there wasn't any. At the end of our trip did a dolphin cruise and saw literally 100 dolphins. I have nothing bad to say about Siladen, it was great, with exquisite service, good food, and nice accommodations. It's probably overpriced for Bunaken, but for the level of service I got, it was worth it to me. I would definitely go to Siladen resort again and also dive Bunaken again. We also did some semi"muck" diving closer to Manado, but again it's nothing like Lmebeh.

Transfer then to Lembeh which took about 3 hours, was very smooth, the resorts talk to each resort. We stayed at Lembeh resort. Again a great resort, great atmosphere, good food. I wish I had more time then 2 days, but it was a good 2 days. Saw all manners of small critters, frog fish, scorpion fish, seahorses, shrimps, cuttlefish, octopus, etc. I had never done muck diving, but was surprised at the lack of visibility, I would say 30 foot on the one day, and then maybe 50 foot the other day. No coral where we went until the surface, but you're not there for coral, and I've been told they have sites with more coral toward the entrance to the bay. Very cool diving, but for me personally I wouldn't want to spend an entire week diving in low visibility looking for tiny things. I like taking pictures, but don't want to do it for a whole week. I'm glad I went there, but would split the time between Bunaken and Lembeh, with such smooth transfers you can still do 2-3 dives that day you transfer.

So all in all a great trip, I definitely think the diving was the best I had done, although I still like Cayman and Cozumel a lot. I definitely plan to go back someday, but will try other places first, like Wakatobi, Raja Ampat, etc. When I do go back I'll split the time between the two, its worth the minimal hassle. I hope this helps someone.

Great report!

Sounds like you had a great trip to North Sulawesi - it is a very good place to experience some very different diving! Good Reports.

Good report, although it makes me a bit nervous--we're going to Lembeh in December for a FULL 2 weeks! No, not crazy about low viz but do love the weird! Quick, somebody tell me it's going to be wonderful!

Hey Sorrows! Please do not worry! In Lembeh the viz can range between 5 - 25 metres! The 'lower' viz will not matter as you will be so interested watching the small and crazy critters! You can also do coral dives and day trips up to Bankga where there is great soft corals and blue water as well!

Good report, although it makes me a bit nervous--we're going to Lembeh in December for a FULL 2 weeks! No, not crazy about low viz but do love the weird! Quick, somebody tell me it's going to be wonderful!
We all have different expectations in life.
How about adding Bunaken and Banga island into your itinerary?

Hi Sorrows. When we visited Lembeh in October, neither of us had ever experienced "muck diving", but it turned out to be the highlight of our combined Bunaken/Lembeh dive vacation. We stayed with Two Fish Divers in Lembeh for 10 nights and dove 9 days - it was WONDERFUL. They took us to a variety of sites, some of which had some beautiful coral to view. (I love coral, so had asked them to show us what was there) The visibility was not that bad...just not what you would expect in the open seas. You will be diving in Lembeh Strait - it's like a river, with the water flowing through it is very nutrient rich and you will see MANY interesting things. I was not at all sure I would enjoy muck diving, but it turned out to be one of the most fabulous dive experiences I've ever encountered! ENJOY!

Thanks for all the encouraging words, guys--much appreciated! We do like muck diving (what we have experienced) and definitely love the macro and the weird. I'm (normally) pretty confident that this is going to be the trip of a lifetime--but I confess, I do get a little nervous about it from time to time. 12 straight days of Lembeh diving!

I originally planned to combine Lembeh with Bunaken, but was concerned about weather at that time of year (Christmas) Also, we were in Palau in 2010--got plenty of beautiful coral and everything else (except macro) on that trip--so we wanted something that was Palau's opposite. Finally, our (college-aged) son is a photographer, so I know he'll love it. He'd better--this is probably our last big trip together, as he will be a senior next year.

No pressure, mind you--aarrrggggh!!! It's just that I'm the one who does the research, makes the decision, and plans the trips. So if it's not absolutely fantastic--so much time and money!--I feel responsible.

Nearly every report I've read (and I read as many as possible) has nothing but wonderful things to say about Lembeh diving and Lembeh Resort. So that's good. It's going to be great. One problem: December is a long ways away!

Thanks again! Suggestions, opinions, and advice always appreciated!

I don't know about you guys, but I don't have any diving friends in my regular life. Just this past weekend, I was trying to explain this trip to a bunch of friends--N. Sulawesi, muck diving, weird critters, my plan to devote an entire wall in the living room to frogfish photos, and then noticed their expressions. They just don't get it. One of the best parts of a dive trip, IMHO, is meeting people who do.

Back
Top Bottom