Smaller crowd on the barge today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry wanted to make a do-over dive on the Redondo Barge this afternoon. I remembered my macro lens this time. Patchy fog and wind chop at the surface gave way to fairly nice conditions under water. Eighteen feet vis and 51° water is very nice compared to what we've experienced lately.
I only found one tiny Tritonia festiva today, but when I looked under a small piece of rusty iron I hit the jackpot. I noticed a small dot in the center with rhinophores. It was the smallest Aeolidiella oliviae I have ever seen. Nearby was an even smaller flatworm. When I downloaded the photo I found not only my first Cuthona lagunae, but two of them. They were barely visible in the original photo.
During our ascent we worked on our jelly photographic skills. We did better, but still need improvement.

RedondoBarge18.jpg

Cuthona lagunae bycatch

RedondoBarge17.jpg

Flatworm

RedondoBarge16.jpg

RedondoBarge15.jpg

RedondoBarge13.jpg

Aeolidiella oliviae

RedondoBarge11.jpg

Tritonia festiva

RedondoBarge10.jpg

Doriopsilla albopunctata

RedondoBarge22.jpg

Aegires albopunctatus

RedondoBarge6.jpg

Flabellina trilineata

RedondoBarge9.jpg

RedondoBarge7.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis

RedondoBarge1.jpg

Navanax inermis

RedondoBarge8.jpg

RedondoBarge5.jpg

Painted greenling

RedondoBarge3.jpg

I found Margaret's little sculpin hiding under a rock

RedondoBarge23.jpg

Pleurobrachia bachei

RedondoBarge25.jpg

RedondoBarge24.jpg

Mitrocoma cellularia

RedondoBarge29.jpg

Leuckartiara spp.

FABULOUS jelly pictures! I so love those little midwater guys, but my eyes can't resolve them nearly as well as your camera does. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I guess small is just as amazing as large. Beautiful!

While going through my photos from Sunday I found another tiny nudibranch. Dr. Jeff Goddard identified it as Cuthona albocrusta. The larger Aeolidiella oliviae next to it was 1/16" long.
Newnudi2.jpg

Newnudi1.jpg

Newnudi3.jpg

You Macro guys amaze me - especially how you find the small stuff hidden in the crevices and such... Nice shots Phil!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom