De(com)pression Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It's been awhile since I've had some really nice dives. I can count the number of good dives I've had this year on one hand. Two of them were at Morro Bay with current and two feet vis. My depression was building until I heard some good news last week. The swell models were predicting small seas this weekend, so I got my hopes up. I've wanted to get some wide angle shots of the UB88 for a long time, so we headed there first. My downline landed two feet from the hull, but the visibility was less than five feet. I knew my camera wouldn't focus in that water so I thumbed the dive. Merry and Kevin dived Coke Bottle Reef, where Merry found another Coke bottle.
The swells picked up and we spent the rest of the day fighting our way through five foot swells back to Redondo Beach.
I was content to sleep in this morning, but Merry wanted to get in a local dive. It wasn't as bad as yesterday, but the water was very green near shore. I made a blue water dive four miles offshore. Visibility was better than sixty feet, but I found only a few tiny jellies, too small for my video camera to focus on.
We thought about diving the landing craft but the surface water looked like split pea soup in a bucket of oil with molasses stirred in. We sadly headed for the barge to look for any vis.
Scott and Margaret Webb arrived just before we did, so we anchored off the southwest corner of the barge. We lowered our cameras into the water and could barely see them a foot below the surface. When I got in the water I couldn't see my fins.
Fortunately, the muck was only a few feet thick, and we enjoyed a good fifteen feet of vis on the bottom. The barge was covered with Hermissenda crassicornis, with a few Tritonia festivas to add some variety. I also found two Navanax inermis, each about one inch long. I still had my wide angle setup from yesterday, so my nudi hunting was limited. Lots of small jellies and yellow snot in the water column.
After getting back on the boat, a small Gray whale surfaced, then dived ten feet off our bow. It swam toward divers from the Divercity dive boat, but none of them saw it under water.
ScottWebb.jpg

Scott Webb

MargaretWebb.jpg

MargaretWebb2.jpg

Margaret "MaggieD" Webb

Maripeltarotata-1.jpg

Maripelta rotata

Paintedgreenling.jpg

Painted greenling

Navanaxandconesnail.jpg

Navanax inermis

Cadlinaflavomaculata.jpg

Cadlina flavomaculata

Tritoniafestiva.jpg

Tritoniafestiva2-1.jpg

Tritonia festiva

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys can have some of the same conditions we get in the Sound, where the top layer is muck, but it opens up to a nice night dive underneath. Glad you had enough faith to try it!

Nice Pictures......we did a few dives in s. orange county and had about 15-20 foot visibility......About 2 weeks ago there was a layer of muck on top with good visibility opening up about 2o feet from the bottom just like you both were saying....Time for some Catalina dives ...i saw reports of 50 foot vis on the west end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom