LA County Scuba Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The LA County Scuba website now states that Parks and Rec has taken over operational control of the Underwater Unit. Does anyone know why this happened and what it means in terms of programs like ADP and 3R?

I'm not sure how much funding the County gets from the City or State, but it seems odd to take over operational control of a unit essentially run by volunteers if you are short of money.

I just looked on their website, and there were a few tweets - see LACounty Scuba (@lacountyscuba) on Twitter On April 22 it said the first 3R is less than 3 weeks away, then on April 30 it said Parks & Recreation was taking over. Nothing on the parks and recreation web site, though. The 3Rs I attended in the past were always pretty good

Didn't LA County Scuba always fall under Parks and Rec at least notionally? Maybe way back it may have fallen under the life guards and fire department, but that was maybe over 40 years ago.

You are correct that the program has always been nominally part of LA Parks and Rec. Based on a recent post on diver.net, it appears that Parks and Rec outsourced the operation to a third party a few years ago who set up the LA County Scuba website, that relationship has ended and the operation has been taken back in house. This appears to be more a shift of administrative duties and website operation since the people actually conducting the programs are the same volunteer LA County Underwater Instructor as before.

When I got my LAC certification back in the 60s, it was part of Parks & Rec. Thanks for the clarification, scjoe.

Greetings SCjoe,
The 3Rs program is still happening. And will be having an event at Redondo beach this weekend 5-12-12
Come and join us.

Good Divin
SoCalRich

The 3Rs program is still happening. And will be having an event at Redondo beach this weekend 5-12-12

Any details or specifics?? I couldn't find anything online and never did the 3R morning anywhere in the south bay before

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom