Assistance needed. Sherwood Avid Recall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KPmel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a Sherwood Avid BCD from ebay. I would estimate it to be circa 2006 or 2007 but am not sure. I have discovered some issues with the power inflator sticking open and inflating the BC even when the button is not pressed. In the course of my researching this issue I came across some info regarding a recall affecting some Avid BCDs.

I need some assistance in determining if there is a recall affecting Sherwood Avid and also whether such recall may cover my BC. For the record, my power inflator is equipped with a grey button. I had read somewhere that BCs with a blue button were unaffected by the recall.

Thanks

Thanks Knotical.

That recall seems to pertain to the overpressure valve, my issue is with the power inflator. That was helpful though because that site contains a toll free number to the CPSC Scuba recall hotline. I may try to avail of that. I have to say I am disappointed I have not heard from Sherwood about this. In the past two weeks I have left two emails for them on their website and posted here in hopes of getting the attention of a Sherwood Rep.

item was purchased used from ebay.It needs to be serviced.Most likely needs a new inflator. You can try to soak it in water with white vinegar in it and see if that cleans it up,but it really should be serviced by a tech. sherwood really owes nothing to you as it is not in warrenty being you purchased it used.

Thanks for your input Oly but your information is incorrect. A product recall is NOT a warranty issue. It is recall of a product for safety reasons that accrues to anyone who owns the product. You should keep that in mind should you ever have a product that may, for instance, have been given to you as a gift from a prior owner or family member. You would not barred or exempt from the recall repair or replacement programs. I agree that this issue needs to be serviced by a qualified technician but not on the basis of warranty.

the part on the recall has nothing to do with the inflator mechanism.Simple fix to clean as I wrote previously or replace entire inflator for about $35.

I did not post the link to CPSC recall page for the overpressure valve. The following is the link to the DAN website notice regarding a recall on Avid BCDs for power inflator issues that brought me here. DAN | News I came to this forum seeking clarification from a Sherwood Rep as to whether the above mentioned recall on Sherwood Avids for power inflator issues applied to my BCD. I have been uinable to get a response when contacting Sherwood directly through their website despite two attempts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom