Harbor Clean-ups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim R Alcoser JR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, I missed out on the Avalon Harbor clean-up (for this year anyways), and now I won't be certified until towards the end of this month (so I am going to miss out on the Dana Point Dive). So I would like to ask, what other local So Cal Harbor clean-up dives do they have going this year? I really want to do one of these!

I can't answer your exact question.

However, I caution you to slow down. You'll need quite a bit of experience just diving before you should start considering adding tasks, whether they be clean ups, hunting, photography, etc.

Coastal cleanup day is sometime in September (I think the 15th)

The Dana Point Harbor clean up is one of the creepiest dives I do. I recommend only experienced divers attend. 0 visibility (I mean u dont see your hand in front of your face because of silt that is being stirred up by trash being pulled up). There are props, docks, pilings and boat bottoms to watch out for and Don't get hurt by whatever you find by feeling around in the muck(etc. gaff i found, fighing knife by another).
I don't know why they will let any OW certified diver do it. I think its a accident waiting to happen. Just wait a few years to get experience.....

Last edited:
Harbor Clean Ups are Fun and Cool!! Avalon is one of the BEST! The goodies found and the unique spots you get to dive are inviting!

BUT... I agree with Fisheater, being underwater is one thing, but multi-tasking is another. Only after you find yourself completely comfortable, neutrally buoyant all the time with good control, an ability to always know where you are and how to get back safely, safe and confidant communication with your buddy... when all that seems like second nature, should you begin adding skill sets or multi-tasking (including night diving IMHO).

Carrying a simple heavy bag of debris safely, or an expensive camera requires the same degree of experience and bottom time.

Be Safe Out There!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom