Best Gloves - Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What are the best gloves for dealing with Lionfish?

I don't wear gloves. I shoot them with my foldspear, then stab them in the brain with a long knife, then push them off the spear with the knife. If I want to keep them, I leave them on the spear and snip the fins with my EMS scissors.

Get some stainless steel butchers gloves

Just to be on the safe side might as well pick up a pair of these...

images.jpg

I kind of doubt these would be much help. Butchers gloves are intended to protect against cuts. They're not much (any?) protection against punctures, which is what you get from Lionfish. If anything, some kevlar gloves, such as police use to protect their hands during searches would be better.

[video=youtube_share;hktzM6_j-tg]http://youtu.be/hktzM6_j-tg[/video]

Edit: Crappy video my kid took last weekend .. poorly framed...

There are heavy duty sharps protection gloves that are available. I was in a REEF lionfish tournament and as part of the entrance fee, they gave each team a pair of these gloves. I assume they work well for protection, but I found them too cumbersome for my liking. I've not handled a lot of lionfish, so take it for what it is worth..

I know that some people use safety shears to trim the spines underwater... this is only necessary if you are going to keep the fish to eat and want them in a bag or something. If you are going to do this, I suggest a multi-prong tipped pole spear because it holds the fish very firmly if it was shot in the head and gill plate area. it can not spin around as they can do if shot with a single shaft. Trimming the fins is easy, when the fish is immobilized by a multi-point tip. There is no reason to touch the lionfish.

If you are going to shoot them and then leave them on the bottom, there is even less risk of getting your hand in contact with the spines.... so less need for super heavy gloves... You just scrap them off the spear by using a rock or something on the bottom..

I've shot prety many lionfish with the multi-prong tip and any decent head shot pretty much kills them, so I've never felt the need to try to stab them with a knife afterwards.

Last edited:
I, like some others, find them a bit clumsy so do not wear them. I hunt with a short Hawaiian sling with paralyzer prongs. After spearing the lionfish I use a pair of kitchen shears to remove all spines, then put the larger ones into a mesh bag for table fare. The small ones I rake off for the grouper. If by chance I hit one too far back, he also gets raked off..... too risky trying to trim the fins with him floppin' around.

Back
Top Bottom