• Yes, the price range is a good buy.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Yes, but a lower price is a good buy.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard,

Do you personally dive wearing a dive watch? I own two air/nitrox dive computers so I do have a redundancy from that perspective.

I am currently thinking of buying a dive watch (a particular model I am really liking is in the $200-$300 range), but am wondering if it's actually a useful buy, and if it's common for divers to dive with watches, nowadays.

Do you recommend the buy? Or, would you recommend spending less?

Thanks?

I have a couple of Casio G-shocks that I've bought for $90 or less. I love them as a dive watch and their rugged and attractive enough for everyday use. Never saw a need for a $200 watch personally, but wouldn't be without them on dive trips.

I bought a Seiko a couple of years back and wore it on a few dives, before realizing I never looked at it--it can't compare with the OLED display on my computer. I wear it all the time on dry land though--it looks good and impresses women(OK, it looks good).

Wether you want one or not is as much a matter of vanity as practicality when you have backups already.
If you want a new watch and like the look of the dive watch, go ahead.
I bought a Watch Details for Promaster Depth Metre Chronograph | Citizen Eco-Drive about a year ago and have used it every hour Ive been awake since, including diving.
To me it is a nice backup as I only have one computer and its actually has actually become what I primarilly use on my dives as my computer is mounted in the console.
I do check the computer every now and then just to make sure it says what I expect it to say (which it has always done)

That is NOT a $200 watch though.
Its not expencive but its not cheap either..

It's more of a personal preference. I use a Citizen Duratec Ti Pro Diver Automatic as a backup bottom timer, but it also serves as my regular timepiece on trips. Truth be told, I bought it mostly because it looked so darn cool, but it's also serious equipment that has served me very well over the years. It should; it cost more than my Galileo!!!

Last edited:
Only buy a watch if you need/want a watch. Being a dive watch is convenient because you don't have to worry about wearing it into the water.

Your computers have the diving covered.

I have an old Casio dive watch that I used went, I only had one computer. I dont use it anymore, since I have a backup computer and SPG. The watch would be triple redundency, a bit much...

hb

What do you plan on using the "dive watch" for? That would certainly help with your decision as well as choice.

I wear a watch, but really the only time it is used is for timing students. Other than that it is a piece of jewelry.

I have a DC and also wear a back up when it is available. I am sloppy in that more often than not I don't remember to set a start time with the watch, so as far as redundancy for dive timing is concerned I am pooched anyway.

Bill

I like to wear a dive watch that is a back-up computer (mine is a Suunto).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom