DIY Harnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GramsciBeat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am starting to dive BPW and, among other things, I want to go the Hogarthian continuous webbing route. I was somewhat bemused to discover that harnesses in South Africa retail in the US$200 range.
If I was to buy high-quality scuba webbing, good solid d-rings with retainers and the appropriate buckle it would cost me about US$80. Is there some kind of catch that I am missing to simply assemble it myself and thread it to a BP? Is there anything I should be concerned about or issues that would make the DIY approach sub-optimal?

Nope, none whatsoever. As long as you buy the right amount the first time and trim it conservatively. No reason to spend $200 on a hogarthian harness. Heck I could send you a harness set up from the US for $80.00 plus shipping and I bet it would not be much over $100 total. Would have to.check the shipping rates with an address to be sure of an exact price.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I prefer to make my own... much cheaper and you can actually do a nicer job than many 'off-the-shelf' hog harness.

I get some soft webbing (choice of colors... my last was yellow).. which is nicer for me, because I dive often in a rash guard. Also, I opt for low-profile d-rings at the shoulders and waist - just a personal preference, but a little more slick (if you don't wear heavy gloves).

Harness webbing... a couple $'s a meter.
Metalwork... $20-40 max.

Paying/charging $200 for a hog harness is absurd....

I got up my first backplate and harness, unassembled, in parts, it took some time "figure it out". As I was getting it together, I had time to think about what works and does not with that setup. It took a long time the first time, but It made me appreciate the simplicity and elegance of the kit a lot more.
The simplest harness works best for me after all those years.
In short, go for it. I think you will actually get a better piece of kit that way. A very true way of doing things.

The Halcyon webbing is still my favorite blend of comfort and stiffness.

+1 for Halcyon webbing, although all the rest of my harness is bits I've taken off previous rigs...

Andy - do you get a lot of fraying around where the top bolt goes through the webbing? Or do you have a thing for putting grommets in?

I've never bothered to put a grommet in it. I use toothed tri-glides to secure the harness at all four corners - the ones on the shoulders take any strain/movement out of the harness and prevent it fraying/damaging the hole for the bolt. I've been using one DIY harness for over 10 years now.. it was very stiff webbing when it started - considerably softer now.... but zero fraying around the bolt.

+1 for Halcyon webbing, although all the rest of my harness is bits I've taken off previous rigs...

Andy - do you get a lot of fraying around where the top bolt goes through the webbing? Or do you have a thing for putting grommets in?

I also like the Halcyon webbing, very good combo of stiffness/comfort. For grommet installation, Coleman makes a small kit including punch and brass grommets. It takes a fair amount of effort (hammering through the webbing) but far cheaper than the industrial machine at around $10.

DIY of course.
Bought a measured length of weight belt as well as a shorter one for the crotch strap.
Used a red hot solder iron to puncture a hole on the belt.
Bought a brass grommet from a hard-ware store and hammered it in.
Also used retainers(4) to secure the harness on the four corners.
5-6 D-rings + retainers + metal buckle.

I am starting to dive BPW and, among other things, I want to go the Hogarthian continuous webbing route. I was somewhat bemused to discover that harnesses in South Africa retail in the US$200 range.
If I was to buy high-quality scuba webbing, good solid d-rings with retainers and the appropriate buckle it would cost me about US$80. Is there some kind of catch that I am missing to simply assemble it myself and thread it to a BP? Is there anything I should be concerned about or issues that would make the DIY approach sub-optimal?

Have at it I say
Webbing a Harness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom