Technical diving is always a little more fun when it has a purpose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kierentec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On a 220ft training dive a few weeks ago we spotted a massive anchor laying on the bottom in 250-270ft of water. The DPNR found out about the new discovery and asked if we could go back and get an accurate survey for their archaeologist. Hmmmmm, trimix dive with a purpose... didnt have to twist our arms too much! we managed to get all of the necessary data, and are currently in the process of drawing it up in CAD. now if we could just get them to buy the helium....

I will post the drawing with dimensions when it is finished for anybody interested in that kinda thing.

here is a link to the video of the dive
https://vimeo.com/44355753

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xyslo5

Disclaimer... I'm not a tech diver, but I imagine if I ever was to become one it would because I have a purpose in doing so. I guess it seems kind of crazy to me to spend all that time and money learning how to safely execute dives just to say you've done it. I'd hope there would be some compelling reason other then pure geekness curiosity...

Its funny as I was reading your post, first thing crossed my mind was "did they get them to comp the helium?" Great find, and I can see why you must be grinning from ear to ear. Its not every day that you get to log some history, and provide a public service with your hobby. Nice work. Would love to see a picture!

Disclaimer... I'm not a tech diver, but I imagine if I ever was to become one it would because I have a purpose in doing so. I guess it seems kind of crazy to me to spend all that time and money learning how to safely execute dives just to say you've done it. I'd hope there would be some compelling reason other then pure geekness curiosity...

I think there are differences in purposes. I agree that being certified to dive 270 feet just to say you can do it is pointless. Most people who do such dives rarely just descend into the blue and come back up. They are instead visiting deep wrecks, exploring deep caves, etc.--the same thing you do when you are diving shallow.

Another reason to do it is the sheer fun of it. There is a pleasure in just going through the process of the dive. It's a lot like the reason a lot of people are runners or climbers--it isn't for the scenery.

In this case, the OP is talking about a utilitarian purpose. He and his team are accomplishing something that provides a benefit. That brings a feeling of accomplishment that certainly adds to the the pleasure of the dive.

Just watched the video, very impressive and nice job.
Eric

Does look cool, can't wait until I'm home and can actually watch it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom