Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the Dive Rite harnesses it is possible to attach weight pockets.

I have only used an Apex wing and harness other than that and I used a weight belt with that one

This topic sounds familiar....has it ever come up before? :D

There are literally dozens of threads archived, so you have plenty of reading material....basically you need a plate (steel, AL, or plastic) a wing, (air cell) a harness, (plain webbing is my preference) cambands, and for weight you can use a belt, a separate weight harness, or put weights in pockets on the waist belt and/or on the cambands.

Search and ye shall find.

Sorry for not searching first, I was at work and my phone doesn't search well. I will search asap, and sorry about the newb post.

The search engine is not very good on SB, best of luck to you on that. You may need to resort to google.

Keep in mind, the BP/Wing is customizable to the extreme. When you are ready to ask questions, get real specific on what you want. There are lots of divers just waiting to answer your questions but without specifics you will be overwhelmed with info and opinions.

- Cold or warm water
- Do you fly to you dives or local only
- Do you want KISS (keep it simple, stupid) or all the bells and whistles
- Do you like belts, harnesses or integrated weights
- Are doubles in you future or keeping to singles
- Are you on a budget

- Cold or warm water
- Do you fly to you dives or local only
- Do you want KISS (keep it simple, stupid) or all the bells and whistles
- Do you like belts, harnesses or integrated weights
- Are doubles in you future or keeping to singles
- Are you on a budget

Thanks Grump I will try to be more specific. If more info is needed please let me know.

Water temps range from 42-85 degrees. Fresh water.

Local diving.

Pretty simple, at the most clip on my spg, light, and a safe 2nd.

Prefer integrated weights but don't mind strapping on a belt.

Single tank only.

On a budget is an over statement.

If you are on a tight budget, do a search on this board for the Zeagle Expess Tech. A bunch of us use it and compelte it's well under $275 as long as you don't get the delux models.

That zeagle express is not a backplate/wing, although I'm sure it's a quality product and the price is right. One of the fundamental advantages of a BP/W is a rigid backplate that couples the cylinder to the diver's back. No soft pack can do that in the same way.

For single tank only, there are two 'budget' options that come to mind, one is sort-of budget, the other really budget. The sort-of would be a freedom plate with oxycheq wing (or any single tank wing, to be honest). The really budget would be a used jet-harness plate, which is a flat plate that works well with the dive rite travel wing. I have one, I used it for years, now mostly I use the freedom plate for single tanks. Jet harness went out of business so you'd have to find one used, but they're around.

Other than that, check around for specials. Caveadventurers.com has some good package deals; sometimes you have to call them to get the specifics, but you can get a dive-rite or oxycheq plate, oxy wing, webbing harness, and cambands for a good price, probably under $400.

I think that for single tank divers without a need for a lot of weight, a Zeagle ET (with the basic harness) is so close to being a BP/W that it's kind of pointless to pick it apart as not being one. For warm water Florida divers who don't need much weight, if any, it's a great choice. For someone in Missouri needing more weight.... probably not.

Now I bought my Stainless Steel BP/W a month ago and like you I went thought the who "how do I get my weighting and trim right" phase? Well, here is what I discovered for myself (as in YMMV ).

I hadn't dove in years in it used to be in a 2pc 3mil in fresh water with an AL80 I needed 18 lbs. I was switching to a 5/3 hooded vest with a 3/2 full suit and to a BP/W. I bought 2 4's and 2 3's (14lbs) of weight and a weightbelt. I also bought some tank strap trim pockets and borrowed a bunch of 2's and 1's from a friend.

So I put the BP/W on and did my NB checks in the pool. I came away thinking that I needed the 2 3's in the front (6lbs). Well, dive a couple weeks and I realize I only need 3. I also realize I have a tendency to roll left when I completely relax and go motionless. So I moved the 3 lbs to my trim pockets. 1lb on the left and 2lbs on the right.

Now I'm starting to think that I need only 1lb on the right. I'm going to do a couple dives tomorrow and see how that goes.

So in other words, it turns out I don't really need the weight or weight belt and then just a couple pounds can be easily placed on the traps. The stainless steel backplate really did get close to where I needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom