Buy a used Uwatec Aladin Air Z-O2 or a new Suunto Vyper?

These two are same price. Smartest choice?

• Suunto Vyper - NEW

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • UWATEC Aladin Air Z-O2 - USED

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henkisdabro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was hoping to shed some light on this comparison. Basically I can get them for the same price. The Uwatec is used but has been recently serviced and has a new battery. What are your ideas on this? I am AOW currently and have about 18 dives behind me. I want to dive a fair bit in the future, and maybe even go pro later on. No stress on that though.

Thanks in advance.

Henrik

Does the Suunto have a replaceable battery? If so, get it. The Uwatec battery (although lasting a long time) is very, very expensive.

According to a quick google search, the Air Z O2 could be about 10 years old now. Uwatec Aladin Air -- ERR

Might want to review this post b4 you decide also: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...new-battery-aladin-air-z-nitrox-computer.html

I had a Sport Ultra fail at around 40% battery life a couple years ago - not sure exactly how low it was as it was sitting for about 3mos. unused b4 I noticed it. I did get about 4-5 years of diving out of it. My dealer quoted me a price of just over $200 at the time. I bought a Suunto instead. I will never again buy a computer that does not have a user-changeable battery.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Uwatec. Had the battery not failed, I'd still be using it - but I had to carry the manual with me to remember how to use all the functions.

Suunto's have a much more straightforward interface. I can pick mine up after not having used it for a couple of months and set/review anything I need to - I don't even carry the manual on trips, just a function card they included - and I've never used it.

Thanks for your input on this. The battery issue is obviously really a good point, thanks for the clarification. I realize the Vyper will have better PC support as well, but the major advantage with the Uwatec would be the added functionality for deco diving and multiple gases, or have I gotten this wrong? Also, with the Uwatec, I will get an air transmitter included in the price. Is this worth considering when comparing like this?

For mixed gases you'd have to get a D9.

I don't think the Air Z O2 does either but IDK

From the manual:
The Aladin® Air Z O2 is designed for dives with nitrox (max.99 %O2)and compressed air (21%O2) only.
Do not use the Aladin® Air Z O2 for dives made with other mixed gases

Link to the manual: http://www.dty.nl/bibliotheek/duikcomputers/aladin_air_z_o2_englisch.pdf

I can't address your other questions as I don't dive deco and my computer doesn't have a transmitter.

Had to have the battery replaced in Suunto Vyper 2 the other day. Had my LDS do it and it cost me five bucks. I couldn't be happier with my Suunto computer and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Double your battery cost with air integrated Uwatec.

Back
Top Bottom