SPG servicing. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK this caused me pause. . .

In another thread, a SB member mentioned he had is SPG in for service.

I've never considered this, unless you have something that totally mucks up the depth sensor (and you should be able to flush that out), what in a 2 or 3 gauge console (depth, pressure, compass) would _ever_ need service?

Thanks!

John N

Check the hose, replace the spool, make sure the gauge is accurate? (Sure you can do that yourself) I recently had my reg set in for service and while I would not have had the spg serviced as I can easily do it myself, since I am going to sell the console I wanted to make sure all was good with it before passing it on for someone to get lots of use out of it.

Check the hose, replace the spool, make sure the gauge is accurate? (Sure you can do that yourself) I recently had my reg set in for service and while I would not have had the spg serviced as I can easily do it myself, since I am going to sell the console I wanted to make sure all was good with it before passing it on for someone to get lots of use out of it.

Sorry, wasn't intending to kick dirt in your direction. I was just wondering if I had missed something terribly obvious.

Short of some catastrophic failure (I was taught to always turn on my air with the SPG flat against the tank), do you have any conjecture about what the failure mode might be?

Thanks!!

John N

Sorry, wasn't intending to kick dirt in your direction. I was just wondering if I had missed something terribly obvious.

Short of some catastrophic failure (I was taught to always turn on my air with the SPG flat against the tank), do you have any conjecture about what the failure mode might be?

Thanks!!

John N

I was taught to turn the SPG away when applying pressure however I do not believe that catastrophic failure rate on modern SPG is very high. Main thing you are concerned about with the caught is if to blew out you would not want the face to shatter on you.

Thanks!!

John N

No problem, I did not take it negatively. I work with pressure gauges at work all the time and we never do anything with the analog gauges except for hope they are close :) Now ones that use a 4-20 milliamp signal that is a different thing. I mainly had the spg serviced so I could say that I did when I go to sell it and hopefully make a buyer more comfortable.

Its a good question, I never thought about it before.

Back
Top Bottom