Cressi Leonardo Vs Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danny Heng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I am looking at purchasing my first dive computer. I want something basic and have narrowed down my selection to these two.
I met Quero before she went to dive Sipadan last week and her vote was the Zoop.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

PS Quero... hope you enjoyed the Roti Channai and the Teh Tarik
:wink:

Cant comment on Cressi but I use Zoop for my rental computers and I own the baby brother (Gecko) and very happy with it. Big display, Nitrox, easy interface and doesn't break the bank

I use to own the big brother of the Leonardo (Archimedes) and it was a very good beginner computer, easy to set for Nitrox and easy to read. The main difference between Leonardo and Archimedes is Archimedes support two gas mixtures and leo doesn't. I have used the Suunto Zoop and it is about the same simplicity as the cressi, however it is usually more conservative and much quicker to penalize on safety stops (especially if your buoyancy sucks).

Another vote for the Zoop (Gekko), great computer, reliable, cheap, simple. Haven't used the Cressi, did own a Edy II but sold it as my aging eyes couldn't keep up.

Yeah the Zoop has a proven track record... whereas the Leonardo is kinda new but it has more functions but only 1 button. The Zoop has 3??? But that yellow colour.... Oh man I am loosing too much sleep here. :(

I was having the same problem very recently. I thought I had decided on the zoop too, until I talked to a few people. It has nothing to do with the quality of the zoop, but has everything to do with my future diving plans. I have tech in my plans, and for tech you will require a back up computer. Said back up would be better served with a "gauge" mode, which the zoop does not have.

So imagine the zoop would be freaking out at depth and during the dive, due to you not following it's deco stops etc. When all you need in a back up is depth and time.

Moral of story? Look at your first computer as your future back up...does it have everything you needed it to? Incidentally my choices at first were the Hollis DG02 and the Suunto Zoop, I went with Suunto Vyper Air

Well that's that. Days of agonising... the day I decide to get the Leonardo, the local distributor tells me they are out of stock due to its popularity in the recent MIDE (Malaysian International Dive Expo) that they took part it. Tried getting it on the net (plus shipping costs) no one could match the local dealer's price of USD230++. Nearly jumped on the Zoop but finally decided I am willing to wait 2-3 weeks for the new stock to arrive from Italy.

One of the main reasons I took the Leonardo was that it had Gauge mode whereas Zoop did not. Plan to use it as a backup in the future.

Thanks all for your kind feedback

I would avoid the computer with one button, as you'll find it too awkward to navigate the menus. I don't have the patience for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom