Good, every day use, warm water BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin52

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys an' gals!

I'm from the PNW and have been instructing in the Caribbean now for about 5 months and plan to stay a while.. So most the gear I have is overkill for the type of diving I'm doing. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions on a solid warm water BCD that can hold up to everyday use. I'm not picky and I'm kinda cheap. I'm not too into nerding out and doing research on all the latest and greatest so I figured I'd ask you all for suggestions. Thanks for the help/ideas!

If I were in your shoes there are two choices from my perspective. A BPW with a smaller wing, say 23lb or if using steel tanks a 30-32lb wing, basic hogarthian harness, and aluminum plate for thin wetsuit or skin or Steel plate if using a 3mil or heavier. My only other choice would be the Zeagle Express Tech set up like I have it in the review I did on it here. Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

These are in fact what I teach in now. HOG 23lb wing and al plate, HOG 32lb wing and stainless steel plate, Zeagle Express Tech. I have no problems teaching students who may be using the shops jacket BC's. Trick is to fully explain the differences. Only thing these setups do not have that I don't miss at all is pockets on them. All of my suits have pockets on the thighs or I use a detachable thigh pocket.

You might want to look at a Zeagle Scout while you're at it. You can cut the cummerbund off.

Second for the zeagle scout, I rock one every time im down south, great bc, nice and simple, rock solid!

+1 for Zeagle Express Tech. Cheap, and very, very good.

How is Cruz Bay treating you? I love to come across to St John for weekends; one of my favourite Caribbean islands.

Does the shop you're working for have a brand preference that they would like you to comply with?
will they give you a discount? If not, I'd go w/. A BP/W using the tinyest wing I could get away with for my personal diving.

Back
Top Bottom