BCDs - More confused now than before!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Alright I posted a thread on here a week or so ago about BCDs and now that Ive done my research and talked to a few local diveshops I think Im almost ready to pull the plug.

I currently own...
Atomic Aquatics low profile mask and snorkel
Ordered Hollis F2 fins

After the BCD wetsuit and regulator is next, along with the other odds and ins needed.

Right now Ive only done warm water tropical diving however once I get my stuff I want to start diving in local lakes and start trying out cavern/cave diving along with some cold water diving. I guess what Im saying is that I have a lot of different directions and would like to have equipment that will work well with each if possible.

When I started this I was set on the Zeagle Stiletto BCD but now Im thinking more towards technical. So my questions...

Should I still be considering the Zeagle Stiletto or should I stick with the technical modular systems?

On the other systems, Ive been looking at Zeagle, Hollis, Hog (my LDS says hog components are not compatible with other brands, is this true?), OMS, DiveRite, ScubaPro. Any thoughts as to which brand is better or is there a brand I left out? Also are any of the other brands not compatible with the standard parts?

Should I strictly go with the harness and backplate or should I go with the harness with soft back?

What size bladder would be best? I know Ill need something else for getting into 2 tanks but for single tank and cold water/warm water is there one that would work well?

Last edited:
You should probably worry about just getting in some experience diving before worrying about cave diving. While there's nothing wrong with a new diver starting with a BP/W, I would worry more about becoming a safe and effective diver. That canbe done in a jacket or BP.

Dive Rite Nomad XT. Single tank back mount or sidemount. Works well for either. Comfortable. My 2cents.

Everyone has a different idea of what works. There are however few that offer the option of back mount and sidemount with no additional cost.

Stano

I have no intentions of jumping right into cave diving however id like to not repurchase gear when I do and from what I understand one of the most important things to doing diving like that is to be extremely comfortable in your gear so why would I not start using that gear now?

You might check to see if there are other divers in your area who do the dives you want to eventually move into. They can help guide you into the the correct gear choices.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions here, but you are likely to get so many different answers that you are no better off than before you asked.

Take your time. Read and try to learn as much as possible before making choices.

I have no intentions of jumping right into cave diving however id like to not repurchase gear when I do

Sorry to burst that bubble,but if/when you start diving caves you will be buying/rebuying a bunch of gear.

To minimize the pain buy a BP/wing. You will need a different wing for doubles. If you dive steel doubles you might well need an Aluminum plate. (see how this goes? ) I wouldn't worry about sidemount just yet.

You might want to get DIN regs but then of course you will need Yoke/DIN converters/adapters for tropical vacation diving.

I'll be visiting Atlanta in a couple weeks. I'm bringing my BP/W and can show and explain it to you if you'd like.

my LDS says hog components are not compatible with other brands

There not? I use a HOG wing with either an OMS or IST back plate and an IST single tank adapter. The only problem you may have is the new HOG wings have shorter cam band slots so they may not match up with the slots in other manufacturers plates but I like using a STA so it is a moot point anyway. This is a problem with most wings and plates and not just with HOG.

I would not worry about tech or cave diving now, just get what feels the most comfortable. DRIS has a great BP/W package http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/28lb-system-p-3070.html
They were selling for $299 a while ago, some people have mentioned it and got that price. Also look at https://www.deepseasupply.com/ Tobin has good prices on his rigs and they are really thought out well. The only down fall with DSS is you will have the most problems mixing and matching there gear as it is designed as a system of matched components that fit together like no other BP/W rig.

Alright I posted a thread on here a week or so ago about BCDs and now that Ive done my research and talked to a few local diveshops I think Im almost ready to pull the plug.

I currently own...
Atomic Aquatics low profile mask and snorkel
Ordered Hollis F2 fins

After the BCD wetsuit and regulator is next, along with the other odds and ins needed.

Right now Ive only done warm water tropical diving however once I get my stuff I want to start diving in local lakes and start trying out cavern/cave diving along with some cold water diving. I guess what Im saying is that I have a lot of different directions and would like to have equipment that will work well with each if possible.

When I started this I was set on the Zeagle Stiletto BCD but now Im thinking more towards technical. So my questions...

Should I still be considering the Zeagle Stiletto or should I stick with the technical modular systems?

On the other systems, Ive been looking at Zeagle, Hollis, Hog (my LDS says hog components are not compatible with other brands, is this true?), OMS, DiveRite, ScubaPro. Any thoughts as to which brand is better or is there a brand I left out? Also are any of the other brands not compatible with the standard parts?

Should I strictly go with the harness and backplate or should I go with the harness with soft back?

What size bladder would be best? I know Ill need something else for getting into 2 tanks but for single tank and cold water/warm water is there one that would work well?

Get a cheaper brand ss Backplate with simple 2"webbing harness +1"crotch strap+ 2x cambands and stick a zeagle 30lb wing using 2 of the plastic zeagle screws on it, no STA!!!!- use a standard weightbelt(put it on last).
You'll do that for the price of a good bcd and have a much better setup that will last longer and dive more streamlined- just try one!

I have had Oceanic, Sherwood, Aqualung, and Scubamax bc's. I started with DSSbpw's and now have HOG on hog plates and HOG on DSS plates. Still have the Scubamax bc as well. Oh and a Zeagle Express Tech. My favorite - the one that is right for the conditions I will be in. All get the job done. I just now refuse to pay an exorbitant amount for a BC. My advice is to slow down. I'd buy a reg before a bc. Any bc device can be used and made to work by a competent diver. A reg for me is a bit more personal and important.

But if I had to recommend a single tank set up that would work for warm and cold.water and be fully customizable a ss plate, 30 - 35 lb wing designed for singles, hog harness, and plastic cam bands. I'd also go for a wing that does not need an sta. Personal preference on the no sta.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom