Komodo Trip Report Dancer v Siren

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just returned from an excellent trip to Komodo. I find it easy to choose my next dive destination, but less so to choose which liveaboard. I am indebted to the many SB ers whose postings help me make my choice.

I am fortunate in having dived Komodo twice on different liveaboards, so rather than post the usual trip report saying how wonderful dive site X or Y was; I thought it might be of interest to divers thinking of a Komodo LOB, if I did a ‘compare/contrast’ posting.

I took Komodo Dancer in June 2010 & Indo Siren in June 2012. Both really great trips with a top quality operation. One isn’t better than the other – they just do some things differently.

Nb my info on Komodo Dancer is 2 years old & a lot can change in that time e.g. new Cruise Director & new boat owners.

I travelled from UK & booked everything through Blue O2 (inc. my Singapore Airlines flights) – they were excellent.

Diving
The diving in Komodo is superb from both boats but the style is different. This stems from the different tenders & how they are used.

Dancer has 2 excellent tenders upon which you assemble your kit & leave it there all trip. The tenders dive different but nearby sites & then swap sites for the next dive. It works really well & means that your group of max 8 has the dive site to themselves. The tender stays at the dive site as surface cover for the duration of your dive.

Siren
has 2 of the cheapest, nastiest inflatable tenders I have ever been on. I would call them RIBs, but there was precious little rigid about them. Judging by the twice daily need to top up their inflation, they were not in great condition. The engines were clearly in need of repair.

You kit up on the lob & wear it to/from the tender each dive. They split us into 3 groups of 5 & then took us separately to the same dive site, with tender 1 dropping its divers & then returning to Siren for group 3. Both tenders stay above the site and shuttle divers back to Siren as they surfaced. The ladders to re-board the tenders were poor. We had no problems at all, but in poor seas the tenders would not have been fun. Also, the ‘2 tenders picking up 3 groups’ approach might mean that a missing diver might not be realised until everyone was back on Siren (i.e. quite late).

Message to Siren: almost every fixture/fitting on Indo Siren is top dollar & excellent. Why scrimp on the tenders? It’s a diving trip! Invest in some decent tenders?

On Siren the attentiveness of the dive deck crew is amazing. They take your wet suit, rinse it for you, hang it up to dry & return it to your dive station ready for the next dive. Dancer does none of this for you – but I was perfectly happy doing it myself.
Nitrox is free on Siren. In theory it’s paid for on Dancer, but I’ve always found a deal to qualify for it free.

Dive Guides: Both boats used 3 Dive Guides & their permanent guides were outstanding. It was a privilege to dive with Gede on Dancer & Dince/Dwi on Siren.

‘Hotel’ Aspects

Rooms: the rooms on Siren are huge. No bunk beds. The standard rooms on Siren are larger/nicer than the owners suite on Komodo Dancer. Though for some reason, they have put quite tiny beds into the huge twin cabins. They have computer terminals in every cabin, which I did not use once, but the photographers (& the many people who were sick on the trip) enjoyed greatly. The boat intranet had 100’s of films available.

Food
: everything that you would expect from a top end liveaboard on both boats. All meals taken on deck (Dancer on the foredeck; more open, better outward looking views – Siren aft deck). All Siren meals were buffet. Dancer did breakfast to order & plated dinners. Siren had the edge on food quality, but Dancer wasn’t far behind & provided great snacks. Siren had a fancy coffee machine. Both boats had endless free beer, soft drinks & water. Siren provided complimentary rehydration salts.

Wine is v expensive on both boats Euro 40 upwards for a bottle that would cost 8-10 at home. Big difference being that Dancer takes credit cards for checkout & Siren requires cash. Net result was that I consumed lots of wine on Dancer & none at all on Siren! Bintang is a very acceptable decompression beer. Very generous portions of spirits are great value on both boats. Siren was Euro 5 for a quadruple (at least) measure of gin or scotch.

Massages
: Dancer provided complimentary 5 min head & neck massages after the dives. Siren provided 30 or 60 minute paid massages most afternoons. I did not try one, but those who did gave them rave reviews.

Lounge/Salon
: both boats had a large (Siren v large) lounge. But they are not used greatly.

Sun Deck
: Siren has a huge upper sun deck which would comfortably accommodate all passengers but it had no shade at all. Almost no-one used it until c 1700 as you would quite simply fry. Dancer had a smaller (6 person) sun deck with a large awning. A great place to watch the view between dives.

Time Zone
: Siren move the clock one hour to ‘boat time’. So your wake up call is actually at 6 a.m. but boat time makes it 7 a.m. Sounds daft – but it works.

Storage space:
Siren is a larger newer boat & has an amazing amount of space. In addition to the large cabins; each diver is allocated 2 drawers in the lounge & a third adjacent to their dive station. Dancer gave no lockers & a plastic basket at your dive station – but was perfectly adequate.

Photographers
: Dancer has a large camera table on the dive deck, with shared lockers beneath. Siren just has loads of space. The photographers had the charging table or one of their lockers between. Both boats had a good system of separate rinse tanks for different types of gear.

: Dancer is based at Labuan Bajo & Siren at Bima. As many SB postings testify, internal flights in Indonesia are a bit of a lottery. On my Siren trip, outwards 1 pax was bounced from a direct to an indirect flight to Bima & then missed the start of the cruise when they cancelled his connection. On the return, one couple had their return flight to Bali cancelled causing them to miss their international flight home. I suspect Labuan Bajo is a slightly better base than Bima. They doubtless get an equal share of cancellations, but there are many more Bali – LBJ flights each day than there are Bali – Bima. So there will be more options to get round a cancellation.

Overall

For me, Dancer had the edge for the diving set up & Siren on the non-diving.

One extra thing I would mention in favour of Siren was the amazing attitude of the Indonesian crew. I have rarely seen such happiness & enthusiasm in a team of people in giving great service & enjoying helping the guests enjoy themselves. Lisa, Cruise Director, is clearly a great manager.

Apologies if I’ve rambled on a bit, but hopefully some of the above info is helpful to you? Komodo is wonderful – but get there soon, the decline in fish stocks 2010 v 2012 was really noticeable.

Hi John

We are pleased you had a great time aboard the Indo Siren and thank you very much for your clear and honest report of the boat, diving and our crew. A comparison is a very good approach and we think this will be very helpful to all divers thinking about coming for a diving trip in Komodo.

We would also like to apologise for the poor quality RhIBs that were used during your trip in June. We are in process of upgrading the RhIBs and 1 has already been switched, the other is on the way! Which unfortunately in Indonesian time could mean anything! We are only sorry that this was not completed on time for your trip with us.

Your comments have been passed along to our operations team and the Indo Siren crew will most definitely receive a resounding pat on the back
04.gif

We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back aboard and perhaps you might meet some of our team if you are at the NEC Dive 2012 show; We will be joining blue o two on their stand.

With best wishes,
Siren Fleet team

Excellent concise comparison/ report. No rambling at all. It's very seldom that you get a straight up, honest, comparison like this and its extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing. As you said both are excellent boats so it will come down to which one gives the better deal.

Its nice to get a positive reply from Siren fleet. an improvement over fleets simply posting their own captains somewhat repetitive trip reports.

The upgrade of the tenders would be a good improvement.

One thing i forgot to mention is that Indo Siren issue every diver a GPS radio transmitter for a mere $1 a day rental.

Great review of compare contrasting the 2 Komodo options for LOB John. It is constructive criticsms like this that ensures educated choices that we can all make. Its also v. handy to hear back from Siren and that their Ribs are being upgraded. There seemed to be a smaller fast one and a slightly larger slower one...all which mimpi drives them like f1 cars. :)

Very helpful, mantajohn. The Dancer wasn't giving massages in 2009 when we went. Very disappointed to hear you saw a decrease in fish stocks.

Mantajohn, thank you so much for your excellent and very helpful report! This is what I call "giving back" to the dive community!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom