2nd YS-01 failure due to moisture in main compartment :-(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone else had any failures of their Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes?

I've now just had my second one die. And it died in the exact same way as the first.

First symptoms are that it keeps re-charging the capacitors when the switch is in the Off position. You hear the whine every now and again. So it drains the batteries dry.

It still works on the dive, no problem, but you need to remove the batteries After diving.

After a few more dives, moisture appeared on the inside of the front lens.

All this time the battery compartment remains bone dry, no floods, nothing.

The second strobe that developed this fault, actually failed. Brown moisture is now visible, the ready light doesn't go off when turned off, it doesn't fire.

The first one was sent back to the LDS who sent it back to Sea & Sea UK, who then sent it back to Japan for inspection. They then gave me a new replacement... Which is still working... at the moment!

These two failures suggest there could be a design fault with the YS-01. They've had quite different serial numbers, so less likely to be a bad 'batch', more like an inherent problem. I hope this was already fixed in the first replacement i got.

Now i have to try and get this next one replaced... Not easy when i'm a long way from the UK... and will be for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom