North Point Quarry Newark Ohio Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshallkarp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
North Point Quarry Newark, Ohio Trip Report

I just got back and got my gear washed off, so I can sit down and type. All these years, I have been driving three hours and 150 miles (sometimes six hours and over three hundred miles roundtrip) to the NW Ohio quarries. I was so glad to find out that North Quarry in Newark opened, a mere 77 miles and an hour and a half from home. Hooked up with Dave Humphrey and met at about 11:00.

The grounds are very neat and the water looks beautiful. Dave, the employee, gave me a map and explained the bouys and rope system. Dave H and I geared up and got ready. I should have known something was up when a couple of fellows came out of ahead of us and said the viz was 4 to 15 feet. In we went.

Problems started right away, the viz was 3 to 4 feet just off the dock. Dave H and I lost each other just going down. We surfaced and talked about staying closer to each other. We stayed close and went down together, then when I looked at my compass to start heading west, I lost him again. Up we went and found each other, discussing to stay close. Went down to about 15 feet and started west, we were together, took my eyes off him to check the depth and heading and when I looked back, he was gone again. Surfaced again. This went on another time or two and was very frustrating that you could lose each other that fast. We decided to call this dive as we needed a better plan.

During the surface interval, we discussed how the sites were connected by the rope system and planned to ride the ropes. To get started, we decided to surface swim out to the closest bouy off the entry, go down via the bouy rope, and take the interconnected ropes around the course. Good idea as we made the grand tour around and back for a 40 minute dive.

Downside: Not much to see, only Dave H and the rope most of the time. Got to a couple of boats, the alien/bug/whatever, and platforms. Depths ranged from 8 to 19 feet. Saw some catfish and tons of minnows over by the northeast boat.

Upside: Water temperature was 84 degrees. I was way too hot in my 7 mil and hood. Dave had a three mil and I saw people going in with shorties, farmer john, and swim suits.

Also upside, Dave the employee had a good customer service manner about him. Friendly guy. Coming out of the second dive, we talked to two gentlemen who were volunteers and helped place the structures. It sounded like they have some things they want to do to improve the viz. Nice guys, too.

Bottomline: I just got back from Grand Cayman three weeks ago with visibility so good , you could see Mars. What a shock to my system. I have dove in worse with no rope system. My advice, don't let go of those ropes. I will probably go back again as it is the closest quarry dive spot to me and the warmth was nice.

Surly, the max depth of this quarry is more than 19'-----please tell me it is!

As I wrote, we just followed the lines. The few times that I went to the bottom on the first dive, I kept losing my buddy, so I cannot say.

Marshall,

Thanks for the trip report. I dived there Sunday and found the viz to be similar. It got up to 7 feet near some of the shore areas and the nursery. I assume that the viz is due to an early algae bloom that has been affecting most of the quarries here in Ohio, especially the shallower ones. I am not an expert on the biology of quarry life, but am learning.

The folks that have opened this quarry have designed it for divers. They have done a great job laying the lines and adding items to see. The customer service is first rate. The changing rooms are close by and practical. We generally followed the lines and I worked on my poor compass skills.

Admission: One of the employees is a good dive bud, so I am biased.

The deepest part of this quarry is 34 feet. I have gotten down to 23. There is a thermocline at 16 to 18 feet. It drops the temp at least 10 degrees.

My son and I went yesterday. We reached 28 feet and the temp was still at 80 degrees. Although the visablity was poor, I would expect that to be like that in a 22 acre lake with algae season in full bloom. It was nice to have warm water to swim in, and of course you have to stay close to your diving bubby, rule #1. We surfaced in the far left corner of the lake to watch the Paddle Fish eat. My son had one come up to him under water. I was quite and relaxing.

This is brand new, give them some time. Enjoy the beauty while above shore. Swim with the fish close to the deck. This will be a treasure in a few years. Can't wait to do more dives there. There is soo much diving to do there.

Our dive club outing was at North Point Quarry today- my first time there. I was impressed with the effort that has gone into getting North Point up and running this season. The parking lot was full- an indication of the interest Ohio divers have in a new site. Two nice picnic shelters, fresh water shower, nice platform for giant stride entries, beach entry/exit all there. Really neat to see the eagle circle the area around midday. Underwater, the vis is what you would expect in Ohio in August- about 5 to 10 feet at best. The yellow lines were visible, the platforms in the middle very usable and the objects in the quarry fun to locate. Water temp was 82 surface, 78 at 10-15 ft. My deepest was 22 feet. I will be taking my open water cert. divers there next weekend. It is easy to find and under an hour from any point in the greater Columbus area. Thanks to the great divers in Newark for getting North Point up and running.

Our dive club outing was at North Point Quarry today- my first time there. I was impressed with the effort that has gone into getting North Point up and running this season. The parking lot was full- an indication of the interest Ohio divers have in a new site. Two nice picnic shelters, fresh water shower, nice platform for giant stride entries, beach entry/exit all there. Really neat to see the eagle circle the area around midday. Underwater, the vis is what you would expect in Ohio in August- about 5 to 10 feet at best. The yellow lines were visible, the platforms in the middle very usable and the objects in the quarry fun to locate. Water temp was 82 surface, 78 at 10-15 ft. My deepest was 22 feet. I will be taking my open water cert. divers there next weekend. It is easy to find and under an hour from any point in the greater Columbus area. Thanks to the great divers in Newark for getting North Point up and running.

I have seen that eagle. Very cool. I was fortunate to see NP in March. They have done a tremendous job getting things going in such a short time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom