Dive Mode vs Gauge Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newbie diver, and I'm learning to use my Zeagle N2ition computer. Can I get some feedback as to the use of Dive Mode vs Gauge Mode. Are there certain situations when you would use one mode over the other? The manual says that once the Gauge Mode is activated, the computer will not go back in to Dive Mode until 48 hours after the last dive. What is the implication of being restricted to Gauge Mode, once I start a multi-day series of dives? Thanks.

Ed

Use dive mode for regular diving as it will track your (virtual) nitrogen loading and will use that for multiple dives. Gauge mode will only give you basic current dive info (current depth, dive time etc). Gauge mode is basically just a bottom timer used for tables or computer cut profiles.

Gauge mode is using the Dive computer minus the computer. IOW you turn the computer into a bottom timer. This is useful if your a DIR type or maybe a tech diver.

99% of the world wants a dive computer that tells them their NDL, their saturation, does nitrox, gives SS suggestions, shows ascent rates, gives time to fly, and may even show your gas, etc. Folks that want Gauge mode can skip the expense and buy a bottom timer. You buy a computer to keep you safe without carrying around a bunch of dive tables and doing dive table calculations. I like Aeries as it is not very conservative which has been working for me for a decade.

The computer is a god send for most divers.

Nothing wrong with using a dive computer, but do learn tables and plan your dives and gas before ever entering into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom