Halycon Backplate/harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering a Holycon backplate with standard harness. Does this system use one or two tank band straps?

Yes, yes it does

I generally use both, but if I leave one out of the dive bag,no big deal really.

Thanks, I will order two to go with it.

Not sure if current halcyon plates come with slots for cam bands. You might need to order an STA, if you do it will come with two straps.

Not sure if current halcyon plates come with slots for cam bands. You might need to order an STA, if you do it will come with two straps.
Hey you just might be right about this. The pics on their website and the distribitor site do not show very good detail.

Regular size halcyon plate has two camband slot. Small size plate has no slot. If you go with regulat size, you also need to consider the wing. Halcyon wing does not have slot, so you need sta or you need a wing from other made.

Regular size halcyon plate has two camband slot. Small size plate has no slot. If you go with regulat size, you also need to consider the wing. Halcyon wing does not have slot, so you need sta or you need a wing from other made.

Gotcha, great information
Thanks,

The plate itself does have slots however their system uses an STA unless you find an old Pioneer wing.

Personally, I don't see any reason to go with Halcyon plate and none Halcyon wing so that you can have a STAless system. The main reasons for Halcyon are the quality of the wings and cinch, both don't work without STA.

If you really want a STAless system, you might as well save yourself come money, go with HOG plate, OMS plate or DR plate. All offer camband slots for STAless setup. Each offers a different degree of bend for you to choose. HOG being the steepest, DR the flattest.

FYI, OMS plate's shape and pattern is 95% similar to Halcyon's regular size plate down to the locations of the peripherial hole.OMS and Halcyon storage backpads are interchangeable.

Current production Halcyon wings do not have camband slots, you'll need an STA (which is nice to have, anyways).

If you can score an older Pioneer wing, you can use that without a STA. They aren't as robust due to the single-bladder design, but they're very nice wings and dive well. I've had mine for about 7 years now, and its been great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom