Nikon AW100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine works perfect to about 45 - 50 feet. Below that it shuts down and I just put it back in my BC pocket until I get above 50 feet and turn it on again. Still works perfect and I have done this several times. In fact, I'm on the fence about getting the newer AW110 which is rated to 59 feet or the Olympus TG-1 or 2 with the $300 housing (rated to 150 feet) so I don't have to worry about the depth of any dive concerning my camera.

I have a Nikon AW100 and I'm going to Cozumel in Nov. I was wondering if I should try my camera since I'm doing a discover scuba dive. I wouldn't think they would take me any deeper than 40 feet. This will be my first time ever diving I'm very excited.

Mine is the AW110 instead of the AW100. I have taken it down to 90feet and no leaks. It did give an error saying that it could not write to the memory card at that depth but when I came up shallower it was able to write to the card again. Not sure if that was the camera or a memory card issue.

Any Nikon AW100 owners ever live on the edge and take the camera below 33ft? If so did you have any issues?

Thanks,
PT

Mine is the AW110 instead of the AW100. I have taken it down to 90feet and no leaks. It did give an error saying that it could not write to the memory card at that depth but when I came up shallower it was able to write to the card again. Not sure if that was the camera or a memory card issue.

I had a similar error with my earlier Sealife.

The issue was that the surrounding pressure that had been pushing the cover over the memory card, thus itself pushed the memorycard. As a result the memorycard was not longer correctly plugged and could therefore not be accessed.

This also explains why it is working again, when you come to shallower depths.

I have a Nikon AW100 and I'm going to Cozumel in Nov. I was wondering if I should try my camera since I'm doing a discover scuba dive. I wouldn't think they would take me any deeper than 40 feet. This will be my first time ever diving I'm very excited.

I strongly encourage you to leave the camera behind. There is a condition or situation referred to as "task overload" that adds to stress levels while diving. Think of it as multitasking underwater.While being new and experiencing diving for the first time I suggest not doing anything to add to your stress level being that you do not know how you will respond. As suggested earlier, leave the camera behind and enjoy the diving. I speak from experience on this one. If you like it, there will be plenty more opportunities for photos later. Hope you enjoy it.

I think that is a bad idea. In general, I wouldn't advise a diver with recent open water certification to take a camera either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom