Nusa Penida Trip Report-240912-260912

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acidrush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

1st Dive: Crystal Bay

Great 1st Dive, Mola Mola at 25m + Water Temp 26.

Would have been an awesome dive except for the return journey into the bay where there was a strong current back. Luckily we made a point to turn around at 100 bar so lots of air to struggle our way back.

2nd Dive: Ped

Drift dive, been there many times, so nothing special

3rd Dive

Same as Ped

1st Dive: Crystal Bay

Mola Mola at 36m+ Water Temp 26-20

Very cold, but MM encounter made it worth it!

2nd Dive Crystal Bay

No Mola Mola, so nothing much to say about it, don’t get me wrong, Crystal Bay is a great dive site, but we are there for the Molas. Water Temp 26-22

3rd Dive Toyapakeh, Water Temp 16

OMG!!!!! I have never been so cold in my life!!!! Lol! Awesome drift dive, but I have had awesome drift dives in warmer waters! The only memories that would stay with me from this dive was the COLD!!!!

1st Dive Crystal Bay

No Molas, Water Temp 22-20

2nd Dive Manta Point

2 separate encounters with 2 Mantas, might have been the same ones, but cannot be sure. Not proficient with belly examinations! Lol! Water Temp 22-23

3rd Dive Crystal Bay

2 Mola Molas!!!! 1st one at 42m, 2nd one further down at around 51m. Water Temp 19-22. I was again sooo COLD!!! But the Molas made it worth it. Went into deco as they were sighted as we were turning around. We were at 25m when we sighted them. My buddy and I still had 140bar left so we went down to 40m and had a great encounter. Long stop after that!

This is my 1st trip report. Hope you guys liked it. More to follow. We doing 2x Manta point tomorrow, 3rd dive undecided.

I hope that you, personally, were not diving at 42 metres and 51 metres!
grin.gif

That's well outside normal recreational diving depth limits
shocked.gif

modify_inline.gif

dived yesterday mid north coast nusa penida...i didn't see mola,but the other 3 divers spotted two in the blue around 30m...i was lagging behind,as usual,and spotted alot of wonderful life....
second dive was on the slack tide on the toyapaka wall,and heading towards gamut/crystal bay....spotted the largest moral eel i have seen in this penida area,and i have been diving here for 10 years....,with a head about 12inches across and approx 2 meters long,not in a hole but in a crevasse,,....lovely....used to see many this size in sumatra's pulau weh.......
ended up having some pretty different changing currents there,also the guide left witha customer,so i ended guiding the last bit.....i did not get paid though...hahahhahahahha...
nice dive...
bali diving is great

I hope that you, personally, were not diving at 42 metres and 51 metres!
grin.gif

That's well outside normal recreational diving depth limits
shocked.gif

modify_inline.gif

No my max depth was 39.9m! lol! got my computer to prove it! But i judged the nearest one was about 2m below me and the other about 10m. I gave a specific depth as we were told by a guide from a nearby boat that he saw one at 51m before we went for the dive.

The only naughty thing i did was going into deco! lol!

Thank you for your concern Amanda! Dive Safe!

Last edited:
3rd Dive Toyapakeh, Water Temp 16

OMG!!!!! I have never been so cold in my life!!!! Lol! Awesome drift dive, but I have had awesome drift dives in warmer waters! The only memories that would stay with me from this dive was the COLD!!!!

Despite the 16° I suggest you get back to Toyapakeh if you're still diving around the island : this is one of the best dive site around Penida and you still have good chances to see Mola² + other big stuff here. I saw a massive whale from the boat last week ! + 2 different whale sharks have been spoted there in the last few days + thousands of small stuff as you have already noticed I guess ...

Hopefully it will not be so cold next time you jump in :)

Dont get me wrong Zivva, i love Toyapakeh. First dove it in 1996 on a jukung from Sanur! lol! I will never forget that day (But thats another story! lol!). Was 21, cost conscious and gung ho. But i think i will leave Toyapakeh for the off season when its not so cold. I visit Bali at least once every 2 years so i will get more chances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom