Capt Johns Restaurant Toronto Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After 48 years Capt Johns restraunt down at the city harbor the big white ship has gone out of business. The ship is for sale my god it would make a wonderfull shipwreck off Toronto for divers, you don't find ships like that anymore. It would be a shame to see it sold for scrap.

just yapping.

How much to buy, clean and sink I wonder. Some of the dive shops should make an association like Tobermory did to prep and sink the Niagara II.

i have never eaten there and have not been to that area for a long time, but that is a landmark to me.. Would be awesome to see it sunk in Humber bay

I ate at that place 10 years ago. It was the absolute worst food I've ever eaten. I'm happy that tourist grab finally went under!

Sinking it would be awesome though. But that thing is huge (not to mention it's been retrofitted as a restaurant). I'm sure the costs to gut it would be huge.

Wouldn't a demolition company make money gutting it? Maybe there is a deal to be made with the Toronto Harbour Commission and a demo company - win-win?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_John's_Harbour_Boat_Restaurant

I work in the insolvency field in Toronto and have contacted a couple of people who might know something about this. If the boat is mired in mud, it will need to be towed out and sunk. If there is anything left on board to salvage, perhaps a salvage company will pay and the money can pay for the tow. How one sinks a boat in an environmentally sound way to be a scuba wreck is a question. Is there a forum on ScubaBoard where we could look for that expertise?

Hmmm...I don't think they would let us scuttle her in Toronto Port Authority Jurisdiction waters....that means we'd have to secure permission from Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Land Management Branch, and get Environmental Assessments for proposed sinking sites, and possibly First Nations blessing, and for sure we'd want to clean that ship cleaner than the proverbial whistle...lotta work!

But WOW, wouldn't it be cool?

---------- Post Merged at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 PM ----------

One more time with my most recent signature file...

I called 640am radio talk show about this very subject. I got thru as they were asking what to do with her? Lots of ideas were called in about what to with her, mine was to scuttle it! With my tonguein cheek, they bought it. I could hardly keep from laughing all the while on air they listened as I explained the salmon swimming thru the hallways , as fish were still on the menu. lol x 2

If there is enough interest it would be a great addition. Not sure that Captain John's would work, but there are armed forces boats that may be easier to clean. Anyone interested????

If there is enough interest it would be a great addition. Not sure that Captain John's would work, but there are armed forces boats that may be easier to clean. Anyone interested????

The diving industry is dead for about it.

Back
Top Bottom