Trip Report Dominica: Travel Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
ARRIVAL

I landed on Dominica in light rain. It took almost two hours to unload luggage and process customs for the 60-70 passengers arriving on American Airlines #3502 from Miami. After customs a hotel driver met me and we began a hair-raising ride through corkscrew turns, up and down a narrow two-lane road. An hour later I arrived safely at the Ft. Young Hotel in the capitol city of Rouseau. This transit is not for those prone to motion sickness,which,thankfully I am not. They drive English-style on this formerly British island.Fortunately my driver was quite familiar with the road conditions and his taxi was blessed with nimble suspension,good brakes and a loud horn. I couldn't image navigating this route in an unfamiliar rental car, but some do it.

WHY DOMINICA ?
When I began my research, I discovered Dominica was devastated by a direct hit from Hurricane Maria in 2017.This made me wonder what condition the reefs would be in five years later. With all the places in the Caribbean to choose from,the reason I chose tiny Dominica was because so little had been reported about it on ScubaBoard. This could be because of one of two reasons. The diving wasn't very good or, the more compelling reason,few divers made the effort to travel there. That possibility alone piqued my curiosity.

GETTING AROUND

If you do not rent a car, you are at the mercy of taxis and ground transportation. The local "buses", (minivans who drive a particular route, but also pick-up and drop-off on request) are the absolute cheapest way to go. Short trips around Portsmouth cost 150 ECD,...about 50 cents. Taxi service is another matter entirely. The Ft. Young Hotel arranged airport transfer upon arrival at Douglas Charles International Airport.But my privately booked ride from Rouseau to Portsmouth was $120 USD,and that was considered a bargain.On my departure day the fare from Portsmouth back to the airport,a distance of 34km, about 21 miles, cost $80. Such are the going rates for visiting tourists.

LODGING

The first week I stayed at the Ft. Young Hotel in the capital city, Rouseau.As it turned out this was an excellent choice,as I can't imagine being more comfortable elsewhere.The staff was helpful and efficient. I opted for a meal plan and fortunately the food was excellent,as there were no comparable restaurants within walking distance.
The hotel overlooks the harbor near the cruise ship and ferry docks. It was off-season for the cruise ships,so none were anchored.
My second week took me up north to Portsmouth,the second largest town,where I stayed at the Riverside Hotel on the banks of the Picard River. I chose this hotel because it was within easy walking distance to the Cabrits Dive Center. After checking-in I was shown to my second floor room where the staff struggled to get the flat screen TV and room safe up and running. There was no hot water in the bathroom sink and the cold water was murky and brown. It was raining that day,so I wondered about the source. The balcony overlooked a rain-swollen torrent below. Construction across the street and a constantly barking dog became my daily wake-up call.On the plus side,the WIFI was strong and consistent thanks to an in-room modem.

FOOD

Eating out in the Caribbean can get expensive and the quality is often wanting.The prices on the menu are in the local currency which is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (ECD)...currently valued at about one-third of a US dollar. So a menu item listed costing $70 is really more like $23 USD. My meals in Rouseau were taken at the Ft. Young Hotel where the food was quite good. In Portsmouth I had several excellent meals at the highly-recommended Infinity Restaurant & Bar which was conveniently located right next to the Riverside Hotel. If you go to Portsmouth, this is the place to have a great meal.

DIVING DOMINICA

Because of Dominica's volcanic history,the underwater terrain is much different than you might expect. Like a color image rendered in monochrome. During my two weeks stay I saw the usual reef creatures,crabs,turtles,lobsters and eels...and,of course the ubiquitous lion fish,which were easy targets for our hunting dive masters.
The occasional ray or octopus,but no sharks. My personal interest is not in micro life forms,so I can't comment on the presence of nudibranchs or anything smaller than a fingernail.

ROUSEAU

Dive Dominica,the in-house operation at the Ft. Young Hotel was completely booked for the week,so I arranged a five-day package with Nature Island Divers, 25 minutes south in Soufriere. We arranged for a taxi to meet me at 8 AM the next morning for Day #1 of my daily commute. Upon arrival I was welcomed by the owner Simon and his crew of women dive masters. A recently adopted black and white puppy romped around the open office which was a short walk to the 33 foot aluminum catamaran moored at the new concrete pier just across the street. I was the only one on my first dive with dive master "Joy",who really was a joy to dive with.
In Soufriere,pinnacles and drop-offs were the main attraction. The volcanic sand here comes in various shades of brown and gray. This serves to reflect less sunlight and makes some areas look more like a lunar landscape If you're taking photos,this is your reference gray card. Because of this,the shallow water appeared less turquoise than you might expect in most of the Caribbean.

PORTSMOUTH

After a week in Rouseau,I booked a five-day package at Cabrits Dive Center run by a charming French couple,Virginie and Remy Granger. Their dive boat is a 23' outboard-powered pontoon craft; basically a big Zodiac raft with racks in the middle for tanks.Entry is by back-roll off the sides,with a newly redesigned ladder that made getting back onboard somewhat easier.
Unlike the sharp drop-offs of Soufriere,the boulder-strewn terrain in the Cabrits Marine Reserve gradually slopes down from the rocky shore into the depths. Here there are patches of lighter sand that make the surface water appear more typically Caribbean. One spectacular site called Split Rock was the highlight of my dives there...and Virginie's fresh-baked banana nut cake was a tasty treat during surface intervals.

IN CONCLUSION

Because Dominica is rugged and mountainous,with over 360 streams and rivers,water clarity was often compromised by weather. During my brief stay,there was a noticeable lack of large fish at all dive sites and no sharks. Of course, it's always the luck-of-the-draw as to just what cruises by on any given dive.
Having done most of my diving in Cozumel over the past years during COVID,I found the reefs of Dominica starkly different. And unlike drift diving,it was a relief to not be at the whim of the currents. It was good to be in total control of when and where I moved underwater.
What became more interesting to me was the asperous underwater landscape; the large encrusted boulders in the north and the vertical drop-offs down in Soufriere. And the warm,gaseous bubbles of Champagne Beach were an added delight never before witnessed.Overall the (mostly) rain-free weather and 83 degree water at depth was well within my comfort zone.Of the two areas visited,the Scott's Head Marine Reserve with its sheer walls and pinnacles was by far the most impressive.

A closing note for those non-diving companions considering a vacation trip to Dominica. In many ways this island nation is still recovering from Hurricane Maria. The fragile infrastructure is not yet ready to accommodate the most basic needs of mass tourism. Outside of some expensive eco-resorts and hotels sprinkled around the island,restaurant options are limited and there is really nothing to shop for or buy. So unless you are an,"outdoors person", avid hiker or scuba diver,there's really little else to do on the, "Nature Island". And maybe that's a good thing...my opinion only...YMMV.

Enjoyed your report, and glad to see a current one on Dominica. A few follow up questions:

1.) In terms of overall trip cost (which may be a bit difficult, since this was a roughly 2 week or so trip), airfare, housing, food, diving, tips, etc..., how do you think think trip compared to mainstream Caribbean dive destinations?

2.) You split your trip between Rouseau and Portsmouth. Why did you choose to hit both? If you were going back for a week, which would you stay at?

3.) Do you anticipate returning to Dominica anytime soon (I'm thinking in terms of future diving trips, say, within the next 3 or 4, rather than time)?

4.) Had Dive Dominica had availability while you were at Ft. Young, instead of being booked so you had to use Nature Island Dives 25 minutes away, do you think your trip would've been substantially better? Less commute, but I have no idea who has larger or smaller boats, etc...

5.) From these, I'm a little confused about names.

I arranged a five-day package with Nature Island Divers, 25 minutes south in Soufriere.

In Soufriere,pinnacles and drop-offs were the main attraction.

After a week in Rouseau,I booked a five-day package at Cabrits Dive Center

Unlike the sharp drop-offs of Soufriere,the boulder-strewn terrain in the Cabrits Marine Reserve gradually slopes down from the rocky shore into the depths.

Of the two areas visited,the Scott's Head Marine Reserve with its sheer walls and pinnacles was by far the most impressive.
So, is it Scott's Head Marine Reserve, Cabrits Marine Reserve, or are they 2 different places?

Past discussions of Dominica had Ft. Young in my mind as the accommodation I recognized. If a stay at Portsmouth is a better choice for the diver, that'd be good info. to have.

6.) How many dives did you get for your trip?

Very nice review B. Enjoyed reading everything you wrote. Wish I could have been there.

Enjoyed your report, and glad to see a current one on Dominica. A few follow up questions:

1.) In terms of overall trip cost (which may be a bit difficult, since this was a roughly 2 week or so trip), airfare, housing, food, diving, tips, etc..., how do you think think trip compared to mainstream Caribbean dive destinations?

2.) You split your trip between Rouseau and Portsmouth. Why did you choose to hit both? If you were going back for a week, which would you stay at?

3.) Do you anticipate returning to Dominica anytime soon (I'm thinking in terms of future diving trips, say, within the next 3 or 4, rather than time)?

4.) Had Dive Dominica had availability while you were at Ft. Young, instead of being booked so you had to use Nature Island Dives 25 minutes away, do you think your trip would've been substantially better? Less commute, but I have no idea who has larger or smaller boats, etc...

5.) From these, I'm a little confused about names.

So, is it Scott's Head Marine Reserve, Cabrits Marine Reserve, or are they 2 different places?

Past discussions of Dominica had Ft. Young in my mind as the accommodation I recognized. If a stay at Portsmouth is a better choice for the diver, that'd be good info. to have.

6.) How many dives did you get for your trip?
Good questions drrich2,as always. I’ll try my best to answer a few.

#1. I’m in the process of adding up my total travel expenses, but with R.T airfare from Phoenix and an overnight hotel in Miami on the return leg,…it wasn’t cheap!

#2. I heard the underwater landscape and reefs were quite different, and they were right.

#3. Not planning a return trip. I think I did everything on my list,with the possible exception of seeing Boiling Lake,which I found out was a muddy 8 mile hike that you needed to hire a guide for so you wouldn’t get scalded by random hot spots along the trail.

#4. Not diving with Dive Dominica, although it would have been much more convenient and would have saved me taxi fares, turned out to be a good thing. Diving with Nature Island Divers was a great experience and I was often their only diver, with the exception of days they had students or a bunch of unscheduled “drop-ins” who suddenly arrived unannounced. The Dive Dominica boats ended up diving the same sites here anyway, and would have undoubtedly been more crowded.

#5. Yes, two different locations. Scott’s Head Marine Reserve is in Soufriere on the southern tip where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic. Portsmouth is north along the same coast but, IMO…the undersea topography is quite different, and less interesting.

#6. Five days of 2-tank dives with Nature Island. Three days of diving with Cabritz. Two days doing 3 dives a day,and one day of 2-tank dives. So a total of 18 dives on this trip.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen a report on Dominica break down the options so well in terms of what a diver new to the area would need to know to make an informed decision. Many people are leery of A.I. and committing to a pre-paid meal plan, but from what you reported, if I were staying at Ft. Young, I'd do the meal plan.

So unless you are an,"outdoors person", avid hiker or scuba diver,there's really little else to do on the, "Nature Island".
Given its reputation for lushness, I'd assumed that topside Dominica might compete with Saba (which is much smaller) and St. Lucia (which I've visited twice on cruise ship stops). Now that I think about it, perhaps someone wishing for a 'jungle trek' topside part of the vacation ought to consider some time on mainland Belize; I've been on a boat tour up New River followed by a rainforest walk from Lamanai, where we visited 3 (and climbed atop 2) Mayan ruins. Of course, with Belize the best diving (the outer atolls) is well away from the mainland, but a couple of days on the mainland (I read good things about Placencia) might serve.

So you traveled alone? Did you run into any extra 'solo-related' expenses? Land-based dive destinations without much added cost for solo traveler/divers are a nice option.

Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen a report on Dominica break down the options so well in terms of what a diver new to the area would need to know to make an informed decision. Many people are leery of A.I. and committing to a pre-paid meal plan, but from what you reported, if I were staying at Ft. Young, I'd do the meal plan.

Given its reputation for lushness, I'd assumed that topside Dominica might compete with Saba (which is much smaller) and St. Lucia (which I've visited twice on cruise ship stops). Now that I think about it, perhaps someone wishing for a 'jungle trek' topside part of the vacation ought to consider some time on mainland Belize; I've been on a boat tour up New River followed by a rainforest walk from Lamanai, where we visited 3 (and climbed atop 2) Mayan ruins. Of course, with Belize the best diving (the outer atolls) is well away from the mainland, but a couple of days on the mainland (I read good things about Placencia) might serve.

So you traveled alone? Did you run into any extra 'solo-related' expenses? Land-based dive destinations without much added cost for solo traveler/divers are a nice option.
Thanks for your kind words. I traveled alone. No “single supplements“ like you would encounter on a live aboard.

Thanks for your review - am actively considering Dominica along with Saba and St. Lucia. I was considering the Fort Young hotel and Dive Dominica for my trip. I have a non-diving wife so that may sway me away from Dominica after reading your review.

Dive Dominica,the in-house operation at the Ft. Young Hotel was completely booked for the week,so I arranged a five-day package with Nature Island Divers, 25 minutes south in Soufriere. We arranged for a taxi to meet me at 8 AM the next morning for Day #1 of my daily commute
Thank you so much for the comprehensive report k4kafka. We've got our flight booked for January and we've been thinking about the Ft Young. I was at first weary as we wrote to them twice with no answer. Seems they were just 'busy'. I guess they are a popular venue and if we go we should book diving early.

Thanks for all the other tips and we will review carefully and may have some follow-up questions. We're both divers so we would be going mostly for a week of diving.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive report k4kafka. We've got our flight booked for January and we've been thinking about the Ft Young. I was at first weary as we wrote to them twice with no answer. Seems they were just 'busy'. I guess they are a popular venue and if we go we should book diving early.

Thanks for all the other tips and we will review carefully and may have some follow-up questions. We're both divers so we would be going mostly for a week of diving.
You will enjoy the Ft. Young. Always a good idea to get your dive reservations in early once your travel plans are definite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom