Choosing a backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Aeris Atmos AI purchased in 2010 so it has the metal buttons. I'm looking to spend about $200 on a really basic backup computer. I'd like the computers to have the same algorithm but I'm not sure how to determine what algorithm mine has and what other computers have. The ones I'm looking at now are the Aeris XR1 NX and the Oceanic Veo 180, but I'm open to suggestions. I figured Aeris and Oceanic would have the same algorithm but now I'm not so sure. I need my backup to be small, H20 activated, and nitrox-friendly. I'm planning to attach it to my BCD so I could forget about it for the week. We're headed to Cocoview and I don't want a computer issue to keep me out of the water.

Thanks all!

Re algorithms you're on the right track choosing a computer from the same company that you currently own i.e. Aeris/oceanic. Some of the more recent offerings from Aeris/oceanic have dual algorithms just check the specs on their respective web sites to ensure the algorithms are the same.

Just had a quick look, the Aeris you quote have the same algorithm, the Veo looks to be different.

Have a look at the Oceanic B.U.D looks like it ticks all your boxes. Good luck.

I think the 180 is discontinued. I have a non-integrated aeris atmos II that I have had for many years and still going.
I believe the same company makes the aeris and the oceanic. The new oceanics are veo 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 I believe they
all have the dual algorithms you will have to check. The veo 1.0 seems to have larger digits and has a single button. My atmos
II had two buttons that I liked but I could adjust to the single button on the veo 1.0. The previous series v100 was air only but
the 1.0 is a nitrox computer.

also have the aeris AI as my primary computer and last year purchased the veo180(closeout) from divers direct as a backup. it lasted less than 6 months then went haywire. last month i bought from scubatoys(online) the aeris XR1 NX(wrist model) for $199. superior to the veo180 in my view(brighter graphics etc); about 20 dives on it, terrific computer for the price(just checked on scubatoys and leisurepro, still $199 and free shipping),,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Take this with a grain of salt. I prefer to have my backup computer to be the same as my primary computer. There is no learning curve to deal with and it is a simple transition from one to the other.

I totally understand, but its not in the budget and it seems like a hassle to have another console attached to my first stage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Why does it have to be the same algorithm? My backup computer runs a different algorithm, because it is a different brand. With that being said, most dive computers are going to have a factor of safety / conservativeness built in. I always dive the most conservative one, and they are both always with me.

Currently running a Galileo Sol (primary), Mares Puck or Cochran Commander (secondary)

Why does it have to be the same algorithm? My backup computer runs a different algorithm, because it is a different brand. With that being said, most dive computers are going to have a factor of safety / conservativeness built in. I always dive the most conservative one, and they are both always with me.

Currently running a Galileo Sol (primary), Mares Puck or Cochran Commander (secondary)

Its doesn't have to be the same algorithm but can make life more convenient e.g. I own a Heinrichs Weikamp and a Suunto, the HW is a more liberal computer, if wearing both computers doing multiple dives over multiple days, live-a-boards etc, the Suunto would no doubt start to get pissy, if I follow the HW the end result will be the Suunto locking me out, so now I no longer have a fully functioning back up computer admittedly not the end of the world but....If I had two comps running the same algorithm both would remain fully functional giving identical info.

Of course this problem would be solved completely if I chose to follow the Suunto...but I choose not to.

If I had the money Id go along with Dsix36 idea and buy another HW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom