Looking to buy tanks for future sidemount use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a big guy (6'2" 290) I like to dive heavier tanks so I can carry less lead. I don't do sidemount now, but I want to start in the spring. I would like to keep my eyes open for some good deals on tanks. What size/type should i look for? I will use them as singles for now.

For some info on my setup. When diving an al100 in drysuit(lit weight undergarments or 7mm wetsuit I use 28lbs of lead. This is with a back inflate bc

I want to watch the boards/Craigslist for tanks so I can find a good deal

The catalina 100 are -8lbs buoyant when full, which is similar to a lp 98 (a common choice for sidemount). A hp100 is -10. So with two of them, you prob could remove about 12lbs of lead for a hp100 and 8lbs for a lp 98, plus a little for the extra reg. You could go up to 120hp given your size but they may be a little too long, even for you...
Seems to me you are a bit on the heavy side. Try to make sure all the air is out of your bc. This may imply turning sideways in the water, putting your butt up or your neck up to remove all the air. My BF realized after about 80 dives that there was always air in his bc and was able to remove about 5lbs of lead...

Steel tanks will last forever but they are more expansive. Used, you are looking at about 250-300$ per tank.

I have both Worthington HP130's and Faber 120's that I use for sidemount. Once the tanks were setup properly the 130's are fine for a taller individual (I'm 6'), but the shorter 120's are definitly more comfortable length wise, and are now my go-to tank. That said, I do need more lead when using the 120's and they do become slightly butt-lite when getting near empty. If your looking for used tanks in a set though you may be limited in your choices (at least around here it is rare for steel twinsets to hit the used market).

Please remember you are weighting for the gas, not the full weight of the tanks (that is for your lift calculation). I use PST HP 120s for cold water, the size, capacity and buoyancy characteristics are very good. The drawback is, when full, they are a bit of a challenge to manipulate. If your dive profiles don't require 240cuft+ then smaller tanks would work better, specifically steel HP 100s (or similar), an excellent all around tank. I sometimes use AL80s with a 4lb weight on the stage rigging, this makes them neutral when empty, and the size/weight are very easy to manoeuvre.

I'm a big guy (6'2" 290) . . . I don't do sidemount now, but I want to start in the spring. I would like to keep my eyes open for some good deals on tanks. What size/type should i look for? I will use them as singles for now.
I use AL80s, HP100s, and PST HP120s. Given your height, I think 120s would work well for you. I am 5'10" and they are much better as sidemount than backmount cylinders, for me. My personal favorites - the 100s when diving dry, the AL80s when diving wet. I prefer 7.25" tanks for SM.

My dive buddy, who is 6'6", uses PST 120s, and some LP112s, which he really likes.

Thanks. Since I got into scuba it feels like I am back in college. Every new move requires a lot of new learning and research.

I guess my main requirement is to find tanks that would work well as back mount singles and as sidemount. As a backmount single the al80 is too small capacity for me. If I use an al 100 then I usually end up about the same as others on al80s. I am working on my breathing, but I am pretty relaxed underwater and don't exert much.

What type of side mount system do you use and what is the lift of your wing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom