My dive with Uncle Pug today (10/25/12)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Seven years ago, when I got certified, a dive buddy introduced me to ScubaBoard. Once I realized what a wonderful resource this place was, I began reading like a madwoman . . . and I quickly identified some posters whose contributions were well written, cogent, and interesting. One of the chief people on that list was a man whose screen name was Uncle Pug. He wrote a lot of things about diving strategy and dive safety, and all of them were thought-provoking. I conceived a profound respect for him, without ever having met him.

I've only had a very few opportunities to dive with Ron, but today was one of them. We did our local mudhole, Cove 2, in the company of Ron's son-in-law, Shane, who is an extraordinarily nice man. We had stunning visibility (it's amazing how it has held into late October) and the strange persistence of sea lettuce into the late fall means we still have an extraordinary density of life. When you couple that with our absolutely glacial pace through the dive, you have a recipe for 76 minutes of wonderful critter finding.

The first thing you have to realize is that, although we all enjoy the freedom in three dimensions that diving offers, Uncle Pug revels in it:

223597_10151228577679216_1738824667_n.jpg

The next thing is that you will be caught in all kinds of attitudes:

644676_4787313729976_911127555_n.jpg

You'll have a chance to find, and photograph, all kinds of little stuff:

156427_10151228188314216_15241706_n.jpg

546904_10151228577559216_531399347_n.jpg

378997_10151228187974216_1290215199_n.jpg

And you'll do it all with a couple of the best dive buddies you could ever hope to have:

197615_10151228188204216_1282253703_n.jpg

Thank you, UP, for today's dive -- and for all the information and guidance I've gotten from your posts over the years!

!

Thank you, UP, for today's dive -- and for all the information and guidance I've gotten from your posts over the years!
Thank you Lynne.. and thanks to Peter for loaning you to us. What a great dive just ambling about 'code mosey'. I consider Alki Cove 2 a great place to dive not only for it's easy access and terrific U/W variety (including some of our favorite critters) but the above water view of the Seattle skyline is more than icing on the cake! I picked up a new neck seal on the way home and will be ready to go again asap! :D

Lynne taking pictures:
J&S_wedding_lrg-1617.jpg
The Odd Couple:
J&S_wedding_lrg-1608.jpg
Shane picking up 'money':
1610.jpg

Last edited:
look, he's back for a special guest post!

really, ron, i've missed you. thanks for popping in.

Reactions: Jax
Yes, I've missed Ron, and Doc Intrepid, and Diver0001 (who occasionally pops up here again) -- so many folks whose posts made me think, or made me laugh!

Ready to go again soon. Lost several thousand brain cells to MEK cleaning up the old neck seal and several thousand more while applying PB300 to the new seal. :D

Wow -- now all we need is Doc Intrepid to pop in here, and we'll have the whole cast of stars!

Holy crap!! I still remember UP from before my 7 year hiatus from this board. I wondered what happened to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom