submerge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
does anyone know if you can leave the watts up meter installed while using the scooter, or charging

Don't know why you would leave it in the scooter while using it, and no I don't know if you can. You definitely leave it connected - in line - when you are charging so that you know where you are in the charging cycle, how much charge is going in, and you know when the battery is fully charged.

---------- Post Merged at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Oops - I'm running a SS Minnus right now and the battery charger doesn't cut off when the battery is fully charged, so that's why I mentioned using it to know when it is. My gel batteries with my former SS 18/26 did have chargers that floated when fully charged, so the the WU meter wasn't needed there. You're pretty much blind with the Minnus without some kind of meter.

I use Eagle Tree data loggers with power panels on our scooters during use to track how many milliamps we've pulled out of the battery, and then I reverse them to track the charge and voltage.

I have not used the watts up meter, but the general theory works with the Eagle Tree logger.

First off I have a SS Magnus. I leave the Watts up meter connected to the motor 100% of the time--whether charging or not. I then connect the other end of the meter to the battery when using (obviously) and immediatly disconnect from the battery side when I'm done diving. Works for me.. and since power doesn't transfer from the motor, there is no harm leaving it connected on this side.. I would not recommend permanently having it connected to the battery side.

---------- Post Merged at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:57 PM ----------

oh... by the way I never leave it connected when charging. my charger shuts off automatically and shows a green light when the battery is fully charged

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom