GoPro of a remote Key West wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Gopro video our wreck dive almost 20 miles west of Key West . My Keys buds Brad and Johnny were trolling a weed line for mahi in about 150 fsw to the sand when Bleep....there it was on the depth finder ..an unidentified structure on the bottom. Instantly they hit the auto save on the gps for a future dive to check this out. Just a moment of looking the other way and they would have missed seeing what the furuno read. It turned out to be a small wreck ,out in the middle of no where. Ours buds shared the gps# w/ the Scarab dive team and we were able to dive it. The bottom is hard ,flat coral rock and an anchor bounces along the bottom and wont grab well, so we rigged a grappling hook to a mooring ball to descend to the wreck. The bads news is u need a pilot to motor in and drop the divers on the ball and then move off and wait to return for dive team extraction. Capt Big Steve from KW drove my Scarab for us so we could hit the wreck.
Shipwreck- Key West on Vimeo link to video gopro video of the remote wreck dive shot and posted by Divemaster Shelley Green . Nothing conveys action like going to the movies !!

Attachments

• img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,120
I don't see any big blacks or red snapper which I know are in the area. Any luck?

Theres usually 1 nice snapper or black on the wreck.unfortunately in a flash, they slip under the engine deck and hide out. a nice hog or 2 comes by during the dive.

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 516
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom