Palos Verdes Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After a week of strong winds and muddy swells, it was good to see the ocean calm down yesterday. I didn't expect to have much visibility, so I set up for macro and headed for the Redondo Barge. As I approached the site I saw the Redondo Special sportfishing boat anchored right in the center of the barge. I'm not sure if they were targeting blacksmiths or nudibranchs, but there really isn't much in the way of sport fish there.

I looked for any non-brown water and decided not to waste gas by going any farther than Haggerty's. I dropped into a hazy green soup and was on the bottom before I knew it. Visibility was six feet in some spots, but for the most part it was only three feet.

I didn't find a single nudibranch. I think they all went south for the winter. I spent the entire dive trying to find anything that would make an interesting photo. Hermit crabs, tiny sculpins and a Yellowfin Fringehead filled my lens today.

Temperature was 51° at fifty-five feet with no surge.

Haggertys16_zpsa45be8ed.jpg

Haggertys15_zps25484f5a.jpg

Yellowfin Fringehead, Neoclinus stephansae

Haggertys6_zps5c3f7a07.jpg

Haggertys7_zps0fb8a622.jpg

Feather duster worms, Eudistylia polymorpha

Haggertys4_zps20c7dc78.jpg

Haggertys3_zps1764a5b6.jpg

Snubnose sculpin, Orthonopias triacis

Haggertys2_zpsfc3afacb.jpg

Juvenile Kelp rockfish, three inches long

Haggertys1_zps0ff887ff.jpg

Haggertys10_zpsfbeccaa2.jpg

Furry Hermit crab, Paguristes ulreyi

Great series for such poor conditions! Love the Fringehead and Hermit captures. NorCal's conditions have been dismal as well. At least I'm not missing much. :idk:

I thought you weren't moving until next month??? Maybe you can get enough time off for Craig Hoover's North Coast campout.

Moved up to Sonoma County earlier this month. Academy starts this coming week. Where is Hoover's North Coast jamboree happening?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom