CoCo View in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rapscallion

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone! Been lurking here for a while...thanks for all the great information. I've changed my plans and now have my sights set on visiting CoCo View! I originally wanted AKR, but I'm trying to cut costs since I've been travelling outside of my budget on the last few trips.

Anyhoo, I have a couple questions about CCV. I'm thinking of going toward the end of September. Does anyone have any recommendations on visiting this time of year? I see by their rates that it's the low season...is this because of hurricanes? Are there any other reasons this time of year isn't desirable? I don't want to run into a situation like I did in St. Maarten in August...the hotels were almost empty, the shops were closed, and the restaurants only had half their menu because they were getting ready to shut down for the month of September.

Are there any 'hidden' costs I should plan for? Should I book as soon as I'm ready, or does this resort offer discounts as we get closer to that time of year?

If you are trying to cut costs and still get a great package on Roatan, you might consider Reef House Resort or Las Rocas Dive Resort. If you are considering the Bay Islands, you might consider Deep Blue or Utopia Village on Utila. Great diving and the possibility of whale sharks.

CocoVeiw is a wonderful place, have not been there in Sept, but have in late Aug and it was a great time. The alcohol is not included but really didn't add a lot. We had a beer and glass of wine or two a night is all. There are a couple of off resort trips that are offered which cost a bit, you can see them at the website. They also have a photo pro there that is great to work with if you would like to take a photo course. It made a world of difference in my photos. The resort also had a local artisan come in daily with hand carved boxes, coral carvings and such. Some of it is really nice and it supports the area. This is usually our biggest expense as my wife likes the small carved boxes as gifts at home. Tipping the staff is about the biggest expense you will have.

Liquid - Thanks for the suggestion, but the wife is hell bent on a hut over the water. We're comfortable with the cost of CoCo View and have read relatively few bad reports about them.

CP - Thank you so much for the info, it sounds like we're on the same page as far as how we vacation. The flights are booked...we're just getting the details worked out with CoCo!

September is approaching the height of the rainiest month, November. So- it is not uncommon to get rain, no telling if its an all day sucker or just sporadic, but I'll wager that you'll see some precip.

Take a look at the innumerable threads on Bay Islands weather and on fact rings true- the weather arrives from the North, and as CocoView is on the South side, it remains diveable almost every day. Many North/West operations shut down completely, or big ops like AKR will move their entire operation to the South side.

CocoView has two versions of the "over the water" room, they have the Cabana and the Bungalows Roatan Accommodation | CoCo View Resort Don't fret, reserve one of the other, take a look when you get there, maybe you'll change next time. Their very unique feature as compared to all other such on the Isalnd is that they are out over a live active and changing reef, not on a tidal flat- so no low tide stink!

If you want the easiest access to the most unique diving on Roatan- you've picked the right place.

Great diving and the possibility of whale sharks.

He said: Sep-tem-ber. But, I suppose, by definition, there is a possibility. Gotta sell what's in the wagon, right?

Thanks RoatanMan. We booked this morning!

What's a little rain when I'm planning on being U/W for a majority of the trip?

Unfortunately the rain sometimes affect the vis at some sites. Sporadic rain will be no problem.

Unfortunately the rain sometimes affect the vis at some sites. Sporadic rain will be no problem.

Speak with Patty at the dive shop. Have her explain the best way to do the shore dive in the situation of a lot of rain/waves. It gets very nice once you swim past the "First Red Can". (The Easternmost Nav Buoy in front of c12 Cabana)

It's a lesson in hydraulics as influenced by geography and forces of nature.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom