Getting Started with Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zynyx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have some generalized questions that have probably been asked here a million times before, but I didn't see them in the first few posts I've checked, so I'll try asking myself.

I'd like to try experiencing cave diving. I'll be coming to America for a week or two in July and while I'm there I'm considering taking some time to work on getting certified to cave dive. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a cave diving program. I saw the post regarding what to look for in an instructor, which honestly seemed like good advice for any diving instructor and not just cave diving, but I'm not even sure what the minimum requirements to get involved in cave diving are.

About Myself:

I have been diving for about 18 months and in that time I've done 40 dives and will probably be closer to 50 by the time I come to the States this summer. I'm an Advanced Open Water Diver who is planning to take his Rescue Diving Course this Spring and I'd say about half of my dives have been training dives. I've gotten certified to use Nitrox and I also have PADI deep water speciality. I've done adventure dives to shipwrecks in Thailand and I've also been on one night dive. I own my own basic gear, but that consists of a Reg, dive computer, fins, wet suit, gloves, BCD, mask and snorkel (I can post specifics if necessary). About half my diving has been done in Thailand and the other half in Japan.

I'll continue reading through here after I type this post, but in the meanwhile I have a series of questions I'd like to ask because as of right now I know very little about cave diving.

1. How long does a cave diving certification generally take?

2. What does it generally cost?

3. Is there any more specialized equipment I should be buying for cave diving that I shouldn't just rent? (Probably a flashlight, is a hood necessary for anything other than warmth? Might not be an issue in Florida during July).

4. **Big one** I've heard talk of sidemounting and multiple tanks being necessary for cave diving as well as multiple mixtures. While I'm sure this information is covered in the course, is it possible to dive some caves on just air?

5. Can anyone recommend some good shops to get cave diving certification in Florida? (I'll be staying in the Orlando area, which I've read is no where near the good sites; however, I'd consider moving for part of my trip to do this if it is feasible.

6. Anything else that an aspiring cave diver should know?

Thanks!

I have some generalized questions that have probably been asked here a million times before, but I didn't see them in the first few posts I've checked, so I'll try asking myself.

I'd like to try experiencing cave diving. I'll be coming to America for a week or two in July and while I'm there I'm considering taking some time to work on getting certified to cave dive. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a cave diving program. I saw the post regarding what to look for in an instructor, which honestly seemed like good advice for any diving instructor and not just cave diving, but I'm not even sure what the minimum requirements to get involved in cave diving are.

About Myself:

I have been diving for about 18 months and in that time I've done 40 dives and will probably be closer to 50 by the time I come to the States this summer. I'm an Advanced Open Water Diver who is planning to take his Rescue Diving Course this Spring and I'd say about half of my dives have been training dives. I've gotten certified to use Nitrox and I also have PADI deep water speciality. I've done adventure dives to shipwrecks in Thailand and I've also been on one night dive. I own my own basic gear, but that consists of a Reg, dive computer, fins, wet suit, gloves, BCD, mask and snorkel (I can post specifics if necessary). About half my diving has been done in Thailand and the other half in Japan.

I'll continue reading through here after I type this post, but in the meanwhile I have a series of questions I'd like to ask because as of right now I know very little about cave diving.

1. How long does a cave diving certification generally take?

3. Is there any more specialized equipment I should be buying for cave diving that I shouldn't just rent? (Probably a flashlight, is a hood necessary for anything other than warmth? Might not be an issue in Florida during July).

4. **Big one** I've heard talk of sidemounting and multiple tanks being necessary for cave diving as well as multiple mixtures. While I'm sure this information is covered in the course, is it possible to dive some caves on just air?

5. Can anyone recommend some good shops to get cave diving certification in Florida? (I'll be staying in the Orlando area, which I've read is no where near the good sites; however, I'd consider moving for part of my trip to do this if it is feasible.

Thanks!
Length of training is pretty well described here-
NSS-CDS Training Programs | National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section

Cost is between $350-600 per segment of the training (Cavern, Intro, etc), with group classes or individual classes as well as instructor selection fluctuating the price.

Here's a good gear intro-
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You'll be diving Air (Nitrox) at first, typically 32% only. Deeper mixes and stage diving aren't allowed until later, more advanced training.

I live in Orlando, we're about 2 hours from the closest caves. I would suggest staying in High Springs rather than Orlando. Extreme Exposure and Cave Country dive shop are both excellent-- I go to both when I'm in town and don't really have a preference of one over the other. EE stocks most Halcyon gear, Cave Country Dive Shop has other brands (I forget-- I haven't bought gear in a while).

About Myself:

1. How long does a cave diving certification generally take?[/quote[

8 days minimum. This is not including the decompression training that you should take either before or halfway through the training. With only 50 dives experience I wouldn't even consider going through the entire course of training. It would be highly unlikely that you would be successful. With only 50 dives, I recommend taking a cavern class and growing your experience. You will need at least 50 dives in backmount or sidemount before you should even consider going beyond the cavern zone.

Thousands of dollars once you add in the cost of the specialized gear, the training, the travel, the gas fills, the experience dives in between courses.......

Yes. This page contains a list of basic gear - Cave Diving Courses « Rob Neto

A light can be rented and probably should be before you spend money on one. Cave diving lights start at about $400 for the cheap ones and can cost as much as $2000. Hood is only necessary for warmth, but you will be spending a lot of time in the water and the spring water here ranges from 20-22C.

It is but your bottom time will be limited by this. Most of the caves in Florida are in the 20-30 meter depth range. You should dive nitrox. You're certified to dive it so why not use it? Nitrox is sold by the cubic foot here in North Florida, not by the fill.

Check out National Association For Cave Diving and National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section for instructors.

Cave diving is expensive. Don't go into this thinking you're going to get by cheaply. Do it the right way. Dive nitrox. Don't go with the cheapest course. Get the proper equipment. If not done correctly cave diving can be dangerous.

With the relatively low level of experience you have, I think you should plan a cavern course and nothing more. That will give you a look into the overhead, and show you the skills that are necessary for that type of diving. You'll have a ton of fun, and you won't spend your whole trip in a high-intensity, compressed cave training course. You can take cavern even in a single tank with an H-valve, so you don't necessarily have to have had much experience in doubles.

A Nitrox cert would certainly make your experience easier, and allow you more time in the overhead. You can do Nitrox as a class without dives, and just learn the classroom portion and tank analysis. It would be worthwhile, I think.

Another thing to consider, since your trip to the US isn't for several months, is whether you could get to Shizuoka to talk to Thomas Jonsson about a GUE Fundamentals class. Fundies is a great way to start learning cave-quality skills in open water, and it would be a great educational experience for you, even if you don't ever decide to dive caves. It's not close, I know, but it's closer than the US! And you will be able to make much more efficient use of your time in a cavern class if your instructor doesn't have to spend time correcting your basic buoyancy, trim, and propulsion.

Ditto on just taking cavern. You can do that in your open water gear, cave you can't. Cavern is kind of the 'discover scuba' of the cave diving training sequence; gives you a taste and so you can decide if you really want to invest the time and money into the gear and training needed for cave training. That said, there are reputable instructors who will do the 'zero-to-hero' week-long sequence taking you from open water diver to full cave certification, although I suspect most would be reluctant to take someone on with 50 or fewer total dives.. Tanks aside (you'd rent those anyway, flying in from overseas), there's still big equipment bucks on top of the training costs.

Ditto on just taking cavern. You can do that in your open water gear, cave you can't. Cavern is kind of the 'discover scuba' of the cave diving training sequence; gives you a taste and so you can decide if you really want to invest the time and money into the gear and training needed for cave training. That said, there are reputable instructors who will do the 'zero-to-hero' week-long sequence taking you from open water diver to full cave certification, although I suspect most would be reluctant to take someone on with 50 or fewer total dives.. Tanks aside (you'd rent those anyway, flying in from overseas), there's still big equipment bucks on top of the training costs.
Like who?

That said, there are reputable instructors who will do the 'zero-to-hero' week-long sequence taking you from open water diver to full cave certification, although I suspect most would be reluctant to take someone on with 50 or fewer total dives..
In the only case I know that was roughly like that, the student was an experienced technical diver with hundreds of dives dressed in that configuration and using the skills that take typical beginning cave divers so long to master.

In the only case I know that was roughly like that, the student was an experienced technical diver with hundreds of dives dressed in that configuration and using the skills that take typical beginning cave divers so long to master.

Surely you jest, I hear of OW divers doing all of their training over the course of a few weeks. I'm absolutely positive they are terrific cave divers after that :D

While I would never call this course a "Zero-To-Hero" course (save that title for other threads :no: ) Capt. Jim Wyatt offers a week long comprehensive course for "beginning" cave divers such as myself...this is just a starter in Cave Diving Training. Others might also...I decided on using Jim Wyatt and have not looked.

Cavern & Basic Cave with Advanced Nitrox Decompression Procedures Course (7 days)
This is one of our most commonly requested courses. There are 14 dives required at a minimum in order to complete this set of courses. All divers must be certified at least to the Advanced Open water level and nitrox prior to participation in this course.

Before I arrive to take the above course (or sign up for the course), I will ensure my buoyancy, control & trim are "up to par". I have been in contact with Jim on my equipment inventory and configuration, to ensure not only I have the recommended equipment at the start of the course, but to give me plenty of time to learn how to use it properly. There are three courses at a minimum that I want to take before I leave Colorado: 1) An intensive buoyancy, trim & control course (not PADI's Peak Performance...much more in depth); 2) GUE Fundamental Course; 3) Dry Suit course...I am not excited about diving in layers of 7mm wetsuits. I figure since I first learned about cavern & cave diving, my planning has taken me about 2½ - 3 years until I see fulfillment...no rush on my part. While I want to jump right in NOW, I desire more to complete the course successfully and competently. :daydreaming:

To Zynyx,

Not speaking from a person who has completed or started Cave Diving and associated training, but from a person who like you has a sincere interest in cave diving, I want to echo what has already been posted:

• [*=1]Start with the Cavern course as a sample of what cave diving might be like. If you are not sure this is for you than don't spend the money on the equipment.
    [*=1]Take a GUE fundamentals course or similar course.
    [*=1]Gain experience & dives with the GUE equipment configuration.
    [*=1]Take the Intro & Basic Cave courses then decide if more advance cave diving training is in your future.

That is my 2 cents for what it is worth...

Good luck and happy bubbles,

~Oldbear~

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom