Fdog trip: 2 weeks on the Aquacat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
2 weeks on the AquaCat!

Yes, you read that right. We have a cruise booked aboard theAquaCat liveaboard for later this year. We’ll be on the boat for two weeks straight.
It’s mostly full. We have 9 spots left available.

Why the AquaCat?

We went on the AquaCat last year and were amazed with the boat and the staff. I wrote a review here on ScubaBoard about our impressions (linky to the review). In a nutshell, the boat was the best live aboard we've experienced yet – and we've been on most of them.

AquaCatSailboat.jpg

From the food, to the huge comfortable salon, to the amazing diving deck, this surgically clean boat met every need – and more.

DiveDeck2.jpg

In fact, the comfort of the boat, and the quality of the crew has made this the first liveaboard we've wanted to stay on for two weeks!

Why 2 weeks?

The AquaCat runs cruises in the Bahamas and the Exuma Islands. Because the cruises are essentially 6 days long, as a generality, they only hit the top third of the Exumas:

Cruise1week800.jpg

We had noticed that the diving got better and better the further south we went. Doing a two week cruise, we can bypass the plain-vanilla stuff, and head off to untouched, rarely-visited reefs:

Cruise2week800.jpg

When we talked about this with Captain Mark, he said that more than likely we’d be doing diving on some undived sites. Woohoo - exploration diving!
Also, because the boat won’t be pulling into port, there’s no lost time diving, as there is when you are drying out gear and packing. It’s as if you get 2 extra days of diving.

Buffet.jpg

BeerSalon.jpg

The boat can be stocked for 6 weeks. So stocking 2 weeks of food and beer is trivial.

Also, with two weeks of diving, it’s likely you might want a “day off”. Virtually every day the crew will take you for cool shore excursions, even if you’re the only one (and everyone else is diving).

AquaCatShoreTrip.jpg

There’s kayaks, too, or lobstering…shopping in port…or, more diving!

Why travel with us?

We have a group that travels to liveaboards a couple of times a year. It is an amazingly friendly bunch of people that just love diving.

Those well acquainted with the boat will note it will hold 6 more divers than we are booking for. We’d rather have a relaxed, non-cattle boat atmosphere, so we are definitely not filling the boat to capacity.

ATLscubaGear800.jpg

Everybody has been on plenty of liveaboards before, so you don’t have to worry about having your diving held back to 30 foot deep reefs all the time. A nice mix of structure (walls and canyons), macro (rich reefs), and the unusual (think Blue Corner) is typical for us. Something for everyone.

JanetStop.jpg

None of the divers on the trip are smokers. Nobody.

CudaBeach2.jpg

And then…there’s the scooters…

8 of us are bringing our scooters. And, we’re bringing a couple spare Dive-Xtras scooters. They’ll be available for use by anyone on the trip. And speaking of anyone, if you want a DPV cert (not that the AquaCat requires it) I’ll be teaching that class on board the boat (for free!) for those that want it.

JamesMonkeyShallow.jpg

The Particulars

When:

September 21 through October 5th, 2013

Price:

$4830 per person for Deluxe Cabin Double occupancy

Note this price could have been made to “sound smaller” by leaving out the taxes, fuel charges, park fees and whatnot. Sheesh. That price is the whole shebang, and includes airport transfers, food, beer & wine & rum mixers galore (and no night dives for you with that wine with dinner!).

If you’ve been on a liveaboard before, you know what’s included in the price. Same as everything else, you pay for nitrox, tee shirts, etc.

Payments:

There is a payment plan if you would like.

Spots:

CabinsAvailable.jpg

Cabin 1 already has a single lady, looking for a female roommate. The rest are wide open.

Interested?

Well, if you’ve read this far, you might be. This is the chance of a lifetime and we’d love to have you.

Either PM me, or, send me an email: james@flenner.net

All the best, James

OMG, James, I'd LOVE to do this . . . unfortunately, my life is currently on hold, and 10K is not in the budget for this year unless things turn majorly in my favor.

Oh Lynne, we'd love to have you and Peter along for this amazing trip! Hope you're life come off hold soon. We miss diving with you both!
Janet

Nice sounding trip, and concur, the Aqua Cat is an outstanding vessel.
Please post a trip report after the trip, might offer it as an option for Canadians in the future. At the moment we only offer the standard week cruise, still a good deal.

Cheers

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Last edited:
sounds *fabulous*, james & janet! i doubt we can swing it, and our makos would feel very inferior, but i'll use the hard-to-resist puppy-dog eyes on larry & see what i can do...

sounds *fabulous*, james & janet! i doubt we can swing it, and our makos would feel very inferior, but i'll use the hard-to-resist puppy-dog eyes on larry & see what i can do...

You don't even have to bring your Makos. We'll have Dive-Xtras scooters available!

Janet

Cabin #1 is now full. You don't need to be a 'couple' to come along. We have plenty of room for you singles or divers that travel without their spouses.
Janet

Here's the current cabin map. #1 is full with two ladies. We're excited to have our newcomer, Karen, coming with us - she is a bundle of energy that makes everyone around her smile. She came with us to Bonaire last year, and what a great time we had!

All the best, James

---------- Post added January 31st, 2013 at 02:10 PM ----------

It just keeps getting better and better! Welcome aboard Damselfish, who swooped on the primo cabin #10.

Here's what's left:

CabinsAvailable800.jpg

To say I'm excited about the folks going would be an understatement. Wow!

All the best, James

Last edited:
I'm sooooo exited! Looking like we're going to have a fun and fabulous group!!
Janet

Cabin number 3 now has 1 male, our friend, Glenn, from SoCal. We are looking for another male room mate.
Almost there!
Janet

Back
Top Bottom