Ice diving: places, instruction, supply and demand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyingSquid

Registered
Reaction score
I have some questions concerning ice diving, can you help?

1-What places (cities, instructors, dive shops) would you recommend for special training in ice diving, and how much does it normally cost?

2-How much do ice diving instructors make, roughly (per month or per student)? What training do they need to be ice diving instructors? How is the hiring process? Is there much demand for this specialization?
I know, depends on where you are, but given you are in a place where there is ice diving - say Sweden, Iceland - is there much divers interested in ice diving? And is the industry overstaffed or ice diving instructors are in demand?

3-Certainly debatable, but in your view what are the dream locations for ice diving - and here I include not necessarily under an ice cap, but water with ice and freezing conditions in general.

Thanks a lot.

Ice diving is not a destination activity by and large. I don't know where you are located but its really only offered by shops/instructors to fill in during the "slow season". People ice dive because they are bored, want to dive, and have few other options. Its a good excuse to get wet, not see amazing things. Hence, there's very little demand and like most scuba instruction fees barely cover expenses.

Antarctica would be the "premier" ice diving destination. But the $8K+ bill for the Russian icebreaker to get you there kinda limits the market.

Thank you, rjack321.

Supposing I'm insane and enjoy getting into icy water not just out of boredom, as rjack pointed out, but for the thrill of being in freaking cold water under a thick layer of ice - can anyone recommend me excellent instructors and places to take a course and try it out? Antarctica's R$8K is unfortunately not an option for the moment...

Ice diving yields one of few times during the year that Michigan and its lakes have wonderful visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom