flight cost from LAX to Manado RT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got a quote for a round trip flight from LAX to Manado for Nov 13 with singapore/silkair. That is several hundred $'s more than we expected. Have their prices gone up or are we booking too early since we won't be going for about 10 months? What is the sweet spot if any for booking to indonesia with singapore air?

Every flight has a range of flight prices, so even booking early doesn't guarantee the cheaper seats as they get booked up, plus they save some for deals later in the year. Obviously flight prices from lax are going to be more than say the uk as its further (I paid £600 with emirates to Singapore for this coming may) but maybe check other airlines like united or eastern china which you should be able to get for £750 ish. Play around with the dates as often it's dramatically cheaper if one flight is on a Thursday rather than friday or Saturday!

Think silk air flights have a standard ish price, in 2011 December I paid £247 sing to manado, may 2013 I paid £220.

You may find it cheaper to fly in to Jakarta and fly with Garuda or lion air to manado but when I checked for this may it was more expensive for me.

ronski, you may be looking a bit too early. Also as suggested change dates a couple of days either way in the week. You will find Singapore a bit higher than some of the competition and there is a reason for that...service. And on long haul flights a few extra bucks and be worth it. The time of year can play in to it as well. I advise my divers to avoid year end holiday flights if possible. Last Dec I priced LAX to Yap and the flights were nearly twice the cost of Nov or Feb trips. I book with consolidators on occasion but rarely get a better price than I get directly with the airlines. I would recommend against Garuda....

Look at LAX/CGK, overnight at transit hotel in airport, then morning flight CGK/UPG/MDC the next morning on Garuda. I've done this the past few years & it works fine. Garuda has an extra 15kg scuba/sporting equipment allowance, but you have to ask for it & maybe talk to more than one agent Jakarta Airport has been upgraded over the past couple of years. It has an international terminal & a domestic one, but the good thing is all Garuda flights depart from international (which is just downstairs from transit hotel). I've found this to be very convenient.

I've been flying EVA Airlines LAX/TPE/CGK. Good connecting times in Taipei.

P.S. I read on my Nov trip to Indonesia that Singapore was discontinuing their non-stops LAX/SIN, so that may be an issue.

I live on Phuket Island in Thailand, and when I try Singapore Airlines online booking for flights that will take me HKT-SIN and SIN-MDC it always comes out to some absurd price. For some strange reason it's invariably cheaper to book the flights on two records, one taking me HKT-SIN-HKT and the second SIN-MDC-SIN. Try that; can't hurt, might help!

We have done that route 3x and it was right around $1100 every time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom