Marine Biology Career Help Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys!

I have a question for all marine biologists out there!

I am currently a sophomore at a really small, private college in Southern California. The only science degree they offer is a B.A. in Liberal Arts with a concentration in Environmental Studies. I did some research to a dozen masters programs for marine science and long story short, it would be more advantageous for me to transfer to a school with a B.S. in Marine Biology.

My question is where do you recommend is the best undergraduate marine science?
So far, I have submitted an application to University of Hawaii at Manoa (Oahu) and UH Hilo (Big Island). Any thoughts on these schools? For those that have already been through the application process to a masters program, can you please give me some advice in that process? My ultimate goal is to earn a PhD for Ichthyology (Fish Biology) if that helps at all. Thank you very much!!!!

Personally, I would choose a school that had a decent zoology undergraduate emphasis. That said - if the same school carried on studies at the graduate level (and cutting edge research) I would look into being at that school vs. others. Me, I spent time in the UC system, Cornell and lab work in Oregon. UC does have the advantage of diversity and large instructional teaching pool + dedicated research facilities like Bodega, Long, ties with Scripps etc.

Additionally, I would look in the long-term viability of employment in the field. After college it was less-than-rosy for me. Drove a truck to make ends meet vs. doing any real fish work.

Have you considered UCSB? I did my graduate work there and they offer many marine-related courses in the Bio and Geography depts. You might also look into summer jobs such as at the Catalina Island Marine Institute or doing field work with a professor to gain practical experience.

Hi guys!

I have a question for all marine biologists out there!

I am currently a sophomore at a really small, private college in Southern California. The only science degree they offer is a B.A. in Liberal Arts with a concentration in Environmental Studies. I did some research to a dozen masters programs for marine science and long story short, it would be more advantageous for me to transfer to a school with a B.S. in Marine Biology.

My question is where do you recommend is the best undergraduate marine science?
So far, I have submitted an application to University of Hawaii at Manoa (Oahu) and UH Hilo (Big Island). Any thoughts on these schools? For those that have already been through the application process to a masters program, can you please give me some advice in that process? My ultimate goal is to earn a PhD for Ichthyology (Fish Biology) if that helps at all. Thank you very much!!!!
Tyler,

Oregon State University has pretty good programs in Biology (with a marine emphasis) and zoology. They also have the OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center. NOAA has recently decided to relocate its Pacific Fleet to Newport, Oregon beside the Hatfield Marine Science Center, and that is a big plus for that area.

But, and this is a big "but," OSU is out-of-state. My advise is to find a relatively inexpensive, but well-rated, BS program at a California state institution (pay in-state tuition), then go for your MS/PhD from there. Try not to acquire debt; get an inexpensive BS, then try for followships or work/study programs which help or fully fund your MS/PhD. How? Consider NOAA and look at the programs that they have for study. I believe that NOAA is considered a part of the Armed Forces, and that they have a commissioned officer program. If you look into it, there may be a possiblility that NOAA would fund higher education in exchange for a number of years service on a NOAA duty station. I'm not sure about this, but it is possible.

In my senior year is zoology at Oregon State University I was told by my advisor to get out of the field--there were no jobs. I reluctantly took his advise, got a second BS degree in health, and ultimately ended up in the professional safety field. I switched after a long time trying to industrial hygiene, where there is a great need for people right now. I retired last summer, at age 65.5 years old, and am looking forward to continuing to contribute to the safety and industrial hygiene fields, as well as get back to some aquatic biology. But I cannot get out of my head that had I decided to go for an advanced degree in marine biology/zoology, things would have been distinctly different; I would not have the wife I have now (soon to be married 36 years), and would not have made the contributions in safety and worker health that I have made. I would have been working on much different problems, or perhaps if my advisor was correct, been unemployed for a significant period of time.

So you are at a crossroads, and need to make some decisions. No one can make them for you, but know that whatever you do you can come out and contribute to the field(s) you get into. Make it an enjoyable exploration.

John (SeaRat)
Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
MSPH--Industrial Hygiene emphasis

Thumbs up on CIMI. It's a great place and a lot of excellent marine scientists have passed through Toyon Bay.

Some of us passed through Toyon Bay even before CIMI (tee hee), ca 1969-1979.

I like to hire folks with BS and Masters in Marine Biology as deckhands on my boat. They are usually smart (except maybe for their choice of course of study) and they are very grateful for the job. I'm not trying to burst you bubble here, but the question you might ask is "What are the job opportunities for PhD marine biologists, whether they are coral, fish, sponge, algae, whatever?" I think you'll find an awful lot of dolphin feeders out there.

I support a tremendous amount of marine research, over 100 days per year. I carry 16-24 marine biologists at a time. I do know what I'm talking about.

What Dr. Bill said. I too did my graduate work at UCSB through the Marine Science Institute Ocean and Coastal Center. You can make a decent living with a marine science related degree. You need to keep expectations realistic, be willing to move to move up, be entrepreneurial, and realize that college degrees need to be supplemented by a range of experience. Keep in mind that you have a bundle of knowledge, skills, and abilities that make you more or less attractive to employers. Everyone I know who started in the marine science found good employment; some stuck with it, some moved on. Some worked as deckhands along the way (which contributed to their bundle of talent), very few stayed in that position, unless it was by choice, not circumstance.

Also, keep in mind that not all great marine science schools are on the west and east coast. Alabama with its marine science consortium/dauphin island sea lab is a respected and usually less expensive alternative. i taught in Alabama for three years and was affiliated with the sea lab for a short period of time. Also, the University of Alaska has excellent marine science programs.

One of the biggest things I will say right now from talking with proffs and people who work in the ocean side of things. You need more than just book experience (ie college and uni) in this day and age to get much of a job as a marine biologist or related field. Simply put there are so many students with high mark but 0 experience outside of class that employers are almost not interested in them but interested in those with on the job experience. Simply due to the sheer number of "undergraduate/graduate marine biologists" out in the market. Look at any of the major jobs in the field they are not looking for you have biology degree in zoology/ecology/marine biology/oceanography/related degrees they want people with experience working in those areas in addition to the degree. For example I'm in the process of getting my scientific diving certification right now (2 year undergrad combine Earth and ocean science and biology with a minor in oceanography) just so I can work with one of the local aquariums here in victoria to get experience doing the science side of things not just reading lecture notes and regurgitating them on exams (which is really all and exam is). By doing this alone with my coop I should easily have a fair bit of experience under my belt by the time I hit the market and a lot more than most undergrads/grads have.

As for schools I'm not upto things in cali but I would suggest looking for a good zoology/ecology/bio school with access to the ability to volunteer with proffs and at local aquariums who odds are doing research also the coop route is a good one to go. When you grad your going to be basically back to high school in terms of experience if you just run through with 0 on work experience which is in all honesty what is going to get you jobs in the long run.

WOW thank you guys so much for all the great advice and support!!!

I absolutely agree 100% that experience is going to make a HUGE difference in the job market. Right now, I am applying to be a volunteer diver at a local aquarium to add to my resume. One thing that was brought up by several was job availability in the marine sciences. I have heard this before and it is a concern I have. One of my favorite sayings is "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Other than diving (which we all love), I have always been passionate about the ocean (since elementary school).

John, I was bummed to read that you switched fields based on the job availability. It is a true fact of life and I am prepared to job search for a while but at least I will be doing something I love. (By the way, congratulations on your long marriage!)
A few years ago, UCSB was my top choice to go to school. But when I toured there, it just didnt feel right to me. Maybe it was the student size or large classes at the time. I have also gotten advice to stay away from UCs due to California education budget cuts. Large schools also offer less financial aid (I agree with you John, I am trying to get an inexpensive BS degree). The reason why I am looking so closely at the University of Hawaii is because they offer an exchange program, where if you live in the western-states, you pay the same tuition as some living in-state from Hawaii. Basically it is actually cheaper for me to go there then a larger marine science school like a UC, University of San Diego, etc.

Thank you all so much for your comments so far, words cannot express my appreciation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom