Back up computer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a shearwater predator and I am looking to purchase a back up computer. Should I order another shearwater (petrel) or something else like a regular computer i.e. suunto or oceanic. I still dive recreational also.

I explored the question whether I could use an Uwatec Aladin 2G as a backup computer with my Mares Icon HD. The answer from Mares was affirmative. Perhaps your case is similar. May be this thread could help.

Your Predator is probably running Buhlmann GF. unless you unlocked it for VPM. A recreational compter running a different algorithm isn't going to be of much use as a back-up. Used Shearwaters or Liquivisions are always turning up, or you could learn Ratio Deco and use it with a depth gauge.

Best backup I have are slates and bottom timer! It also teaches you to dive according to a plan which will help later on once you go deeper. Get used to sticking to a predefined dive profiles and wean yourself from being dependent on a computer. Planning starts before you get in the water. Learn this skill even for rec dives!!!

For a technical dive, my backup is the tables I cut specifically for the dive along with bailout tables that I am already following using the computer mainly as time/depth anyway & my bottom timer.

I use a bt and custom tables, so the petrel is backup

Use an SPG and a watch...And follow the advice of the other posts here......

I am also using a wrist slate and cut out charts taped to slatewhen I am diving. I am just curious about another computer. I am now considering using a bottom timers as my back up. Everyone I dive with are using the same thing so that all our profiles match along with a back up computer.

A planned dive is just that...planned. A bt and time keeper works great here. You need a back in case the plan breaks, a computer or tables works here.
I run and log the plan , plus 5 min, plus 10, and a 5min dump time and write then in my notebook. Pretty much std fare for any tech type diving.

I have a predator and bought a petrel before I went to Truk Lagoon in December. It came in handy on the Oite when squeezing into a hole on the stern section it got changed to 100 percent oxygen for a few minutes. Needless to say it didn't like this at 200 feet. It was giving me some extremely long stops but by the 20 foot stop it had straightened it self out to match the petrel. I had tables as a backup but before going on a trip to a remote area I felt that I wanted a backup in the remote chance my predator bit the dust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom