Women's BCD choices narrowed down to Aqualung Libra, Lotus or Oceanic Excursion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that I have looked into women's BCDs more I am tossing up between the Oceanic Excursion, the Acqua Lung Lotus and the Acqua Lung Libra. There are so many to chose from but now I have narrowed down my choices to 3.

I am able to try the Excursion in the water before I buy it which is handy but the other two will be just a guess.

Does anyone have a preference between these 3 options.

My decision has been narrowed because it is argued that the rear inflation is best for buoyancy control.

I do not mind how much I pay for the BCD, I just want to make sure it will last a long time, is comfortable and perfect for recreational diving.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently dive the Aqualung Balance (the men's version of the Libra). The Libra does not size big enough for me (5'6" 195 lbs) & my drysuit. The Balance/ Libra are excellent BC's, tough & lightweight.

As was mentioned in your other thread, Buoyancy control has more to do with your weighting & breathing, than the type of BC. That said, the back inflation BC's are more suited for better horizontal trim. However, there is a slight learning curve wit5h dealing with them on the surface. Not hard, by any means, just having to lean back against them a little & not overinflating them on the surface. Since you plan to train with the BC, it will likely come very quickly.

The Excursion is a very good BC (I do own one), but it is not truly a woman's BC. The Lotus and the Libra were designed specificaly for a woman's use, check out the female specific design features. AquaLung BCs are very well made, and we use them in our rental fleet because of their durability. One shortcomming to the Excursion; the bladder seems long at the bottom and it is very easy to put the tank down on the bladder causing a flat pinch leak (mine is now patched in two places). No such problems on AquaLung BCs. By the way, despite what was mentioned by tstormdiver, Aqualung BC sizing runs on the large side, do not by a AL BC based on sizing of any other brand, try them on. (Oceanic runs true or a bit small). Good Luck!

I dive the Libra and while I think it is an extremely fine BC, I only have one complaint - it does not work well with a drysuit. I wear a size medium and the straps are too short to easily pull yourself in and out of when. I am hopeful they'll rectify this with whatever model them come up next. Otherwise, for a wetsuit or with skin, no issues and I would highly recommend it. Very comfortable and nicely designed.

I can only speak about the Lotus, and not really give a comparison as I haven't used any of the others. I went from using a backplate and wing to a Lotus. I was surprised that I liked using the Lotus as much as I do. I like that it has routing for hoses (the i3 inflator hose and gauge hose can go through the back and out the side, there's a space for the gauge to be secured so it's not flopping around, and there's a place to stow your octo), it's a back inflate so it's uncluttered in the front, the swivel buckles make it so the straps go where they rest best on you (vs trying to go straight down over your chest), and when you dump air using the i3 lever it opens all the dumps so there's no acrobatics to get any dump valve to a high point. I also find it generally very comfortable, without being overly bulky/padded. My only real complaint about it is that the lower d rings are in a terrible place and I find them not useful because of it. I added a d-ring where I want it to solve that problem. There are definitely kinds of diving I will continue to use my backplate for, but for "regular" recreational diving I'm perfectly happy using the Lotus. Some of those features may also be available in the other models you're looking at, but they're what's different than other BC's I've used. Good luck with your decision!

By the way, despite what was mentioned by tstormdiver, Aqualung BC sizing runs on the large side, do not by a AL BC based on sizing of any other brand, try them on. (Oceanic runs true or a bit small). Good Luck!

Since when???? I can wear a Lg Oceanic with my drysuit, but must wear an XL in the Balance (Libras only go up to ML). I tried a ML Libra with just a T-shirt on & almost could not get it off my shoulders, it was so tight.

tstormdiver.

I was refering to Ladies BC. Your Balance is a men's BC and pattern and sizing is different. Can't explain difference between fit of Excursion and Ballance in your case, as a Med in both fit me exactly the same (5'10", 170). No offense, but you may not be within the "average" body type which sizing is usually designed for.

tstormdiver.

I was refering to Ladies BC. Your Balance is a men's BC and pattern and sizing is different. Can't explain difference between fit of Excursion and Ballance in your case, as a Med in both fit me exactly the same (5'10", 170). No offense, but you may not be within the "average" body type which sizing is usually designed for.

No offense taken:blinking:,.. But I have worn both a Hera & our shop's rental Ocean Pro's (only in a pinch) & could get by with a LG. I am 5'6" 195 lbs (yes, a bit heavy,... but working on that). For me to fit with my drysuit, I had to go with the Balance XL. It is quite huge when I am in a wetsuit, but fits just right in the drysuit. Anyone who knows me will tell you there's nothing average about me! :D:rofl3:

I have an Aqualung Lotus and absolutely love it! It was a very small learning curve to get used to it on the surface but no biggee. It travels well as you can fold it in half very easily. It's a very comfortable fit and I think very streamlined with the hose routing, console holder and octo holder as mentioned above. My only complaint with it is that with the i3 technology it took away the pocket on the left side. However!! I just saw the new Aqualung Soul and I am drooling. It is the Lotus with the i3 mechanism more streamlined which I really like and the pocket is back on the left.

I have an Aqualung Lotus and absolutely love it! It was a very small learning curve to get used to it on the surface but no biggee. It travels well as you can fold it in half very easily. It's a very comfortable fit and I think very streamlined with the hose routing, console holder and octo holder as mentioned above. My only complaint with it is that with the i3 technology it took away the pocket on the left side. However!! I just saw the new Aqualung Soul and I am drooling. It is the Lotus with the i3 mechanism more streamlined which I really like and the pocket is back on the left.

I just got the Soul i3, and though I haven't gone diving with it yet, it seems like a great BC. I've walked around with a tank strapped to it, and I love the way it distributes the weight; made the AL80 feel much lighter. Will report back once it's been broken in :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom