Current Water Temp/Roatan AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps on the Bay Islands remain in the 79-82 range all year long. A much more important variable is the surface weather and conditions that you will have to endure during transit and the SI.

In the next few weeks, the weather will begin improving noticeably each day, not to mention the angle of the Sun. The storms which beat-up the North and Northwest sides of the island will have gone away for the season, the seas will be getting calmer, and there is less and less threat of rain.

Your surface interval allows for off gassing and just as important, for your physical body to get rest and warm back up. What would be better than a non- rocking boat, no wind, and of course... The warm Sunshine? AKR has very nice boats.

i would bring an unlined Goretx parka for the boat just in case, but that's a good item any time period. I appreciate that you asked "what will the water temps be" kind of question, versus the absolutely unknowable "what mil suit should I wear?" For that there is no answer other than from personal experience.

On Roatan, and certainly AKR, you can do a lot of repetitive diving, so this is another huge factor in deciding what to make of the otherwise predictable 79-82 degrees.

Please post a full report when you're able to.

Roatan Weather - it's on the south side but...

Thank you Diversteve

Looks like next week is going to be a Wednesday "Norther"...

Sunday Feb. 24, 2013....
A stationary front extends from Florida to NE Mexico. A second cold front will move off Texas coast early Monday with gale force winds W of 94W and reach from central Florida to the Yucatan Peninsula early Tuesday and than move SE of the area Tuesday night. A third cold front moves into the Gulf of Mexico

AKR will likely be taking you to dive on the South side. It presents a very capable operation with a superior depth of operational capability.

Just got back Sat. Water temps on my dive computer were in the upper 70's mostly 76 to 78 Surface and night was tee shirts and shorts. Rain and wind 2 of 8 days (light sigle layer rain windbreaker/ jacket) was nice. I am a big wussie as far as water temp, so it was 3.5 mm wetsuite and 2 mm hoody. never shivered once. Started out with 14 lbs but got down to 12
PICT0018-Version2_zpsf6ec550a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom