Advice please - should I return the Galileo Luna I purchased yesterday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylb

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased a Galileo Luna yesterday. My dive shop told me that it was compatible with Mac via Jtrack (I also have the IrDA USB 2.0 adapter), but they're not Mac users so they couldn't comment on how it compares to SmartTrac or any other Mac based software. I'm really looking forward to using the Luna, but after reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere on the net, it seems that Scubapro's support for Mac is pretty bad. I'm therefore concerned about my purchase.

I'm a Mac user. I won't use Parallels, BootCamp or any other technology to run Windoze on any of my computers. I bought the Luna for diving, but I need it to interface with my computers for obvious reasons. I don't want work-arounds, kludges or concessions - I simply want my technology to work together. I like what the Luna has to offer in and of itself; I use a LOT of Scubapro gear so I'm loyal to the brand. However, if they're closed off & proprietary along with being unwilling to consider supporting the Mac community I will consider another computer manufacturer. My computer is still in the box, it's never been in the water so now is the time to make a decision...

Question for anyone with experience in this matter: Should I simply return my Luna and look for something that does interface with my Macs or should I hold out for Scubapro to catch up? Scubapro folks on the board, can you comment on your commitment (either way) to Mac & Luna users? If I hold out, what timescale are we looking at? I don't want to wait a year for some kind of patch or port only to wish I would have waited to buy something "new & improved" that works better with a Mac.

Other Mac users - can you suggest a kick-ass computer that also integrates well with Mac?

This seems to be a very recurring theme for quite a few dive computers. Had the same problem with my old one and 2 years later the company is still struggling to get the bugs worked out. I'd say return it and jump on a Shearwater Petrel or Predator. I see the Luna listed anywhere from $720-1000. Send ColdH2O a message and ask him if you can get in on our Petrel group buy that's about to go down. Here's the thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/442627-petrel-group-buy-info.html I think we need one more for sure before we pull the trigger and it isn't much more than the Luna if you paid the $720. The Shearwater uses Bluetooth to communicate so no cables, has a user replaceable AA battery and I have not heard anything but the highest praise for their customer service.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

Back
Top Bottom