Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegiandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey I'm going to Indonesia the 12th of April and going home 11th of May.

I have been in Indonesia twice before, and I have done two liveaboards in Komodo that was mind blowing!!!
I will do Raja Ampat in 2014 so I want to save it too then.

Now I want to try something new so my question now is: Where do I get any diving like the diving in Komodo?? Lembeh? Bunaken? Togean Island? Manado?

I'm very currious about Sulawesi.
I'm want to do some landbased stuff also, trekking in jungle, volcano, and I might bring a non diver friend, is Sulawesi the right place?

I'm great full for all tips about Sulawesi

Bunaken and Bangka together will give you an experience quite similar to Komodo. I would also add the Pulisan dive sites at the north end of Lembeh Strait. And now that you're at Lembeh Strait, you can get a dose of world-class muck diving, if you like.

Thank you Hihhdesert :)

Where do I find the best beaches in Sulawesi? And what other cool stuff is there to do other than Scubadiving in Sulawesi? Is there any night life in these locations? (I'm bringing a girl that isn't that interested in diving)

Maybe if u have a non diving gf then check out gangga island. Has a better beach than mainland north Sulawesi I think. Lembeh has no beaches really, not bunaken. There are plenty of volcanoes, tangkoko national park which has tarsiers and other monkeys and endemic birdlife. There is v little nightlife in north Sulawesi, it's unspoilt true Indonesia!!

Hey I'm going to Indonesia the 12th of April and going home 11th of May.

Now I want to try something new so my question now is: Where do I get any diving like the diving in Komodo?? Lembeh? Bunaken? Togean Island? Manado?

I'm very currious about Sulawesi.
I'm want to do some landbased stuff also, trekking in jungle, volcano, and I might bring a non diver friend, is Sulawesi the right place?

I'm great full for all tips about Sulawesi

I believe there are plenty of diving site in Sulawesi than other islands of Indonesia, but the problem with Sulawesi is huge and bit difficult to get around without airplane, I mean still limited, is not like the island of Java.
if you want to do diving and some landbased stuff, Takabone, Bira and Selayar those are south of sulawesi will do it, and for some adventures heading north to Toraja afterwards,
but if you're really into stuff that will almost similar to Komodo, I will sugest you to visit Wakatobi (Southeast of Sulawesi) instead, I know there is no Volcano nor jungle surrounding Wakatobi.. for volcano and jungle adventures you still have to go up to North of Sulawesi though. is mater a fact, mount Soputan, Lokon and Karangetan just erupted recently...
hope this will help.

Sulawesi offer amazing experience for adventurer - both topside and underwater. If you look the weird shape of the island, you'll notice that's quite challenging to reach all the top destination. Few places are connected with flight but mostly require land and sea transportation which will easily consume your time.
My suggestion, start from Manado - in 2 weeks you can explore the underwater of Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh plus the topsite attraction at tangkoko and minahasan high land.
From Manado go to Gorontalo, 8-10 hours drive or 40 minute flight from Manado. 3-4 days would be sufficient - then use public ferry from Gorontalo to Togean - 9 hours, depart on the evening and arrive in the morning. For extra USD 30, the captain will give his nice cabin for you, you can sleep well.
For me a week in Togean is more than enough, the diving is good but not special.
From togean, go to Ampana by boat (2-4 hours).
From Ampana. you can go to Palu (8-10 hours drive) for another dive days (Donggala, Marantale and Parigi) or land excursion to Rantepao the famous Tana Toraja (12-14 hours drive - you can stop overnight at Poso Lake).
From Tana Toraja you can contunie to Makasar/Ujung Pandang - 8 hours drive,
Plenty options from here - spearmonde, wakatobi, bira, selayar, taka bonerate
Makasar is the main hub for east Indonesia, easy to travel to another destinations outside Sulawesi or back home.

Hi,
I would agree with pughio83 and highdesert. You can find more information about Nord-Sulawesi here.
There is also a description of Gangga Resort where in particular your friend will feel fine very much. Furthermore detailed reports on tours to volcanoes, Tangkoko National Park, Minahasa highlands. Main focus of the photo reports is the diver's island Bunaken with Resort recommendations
Best wishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom